4th Annual BYC NYD Hatch-a-long

I submitted my hatch rate for the spread sheet but can't provide photo because well the two that hatched didn't make it...i guess I could submit a picture of nothing lol.

Submitted, seemed to work fine. I put I hatched 7 since that's how many made it out of the incubator. Had 2 others hatch, but didn't make it, so didn't claim 9 hatched. I'm assuming that's how we're supposed to report.

So my slow little guy lived through the night in the brooder with the rest... Though now that he's um... moving... I think we have a new problem...

He kind of scoots and scuttles around... how do I 'fix' this? is there a way to do so? If I just leave him be, will he figure it out and gain control of his legs better?

So my slow little guy lived through the night in the brooder with the rest... Though now that he's um... moving... I think we have a new problem...

He kind of scoots and scuttles around... how do I 'fix' this? is there a way to do so? If I just leave him be, will he figure it out and gain control of his legs better?
look up splayed leg. You need to make a brace for the legs and put him into a cup for several days.

That is the general procedure but like I said, look up the specifics.

fl.gif
Hoping for the best!

look up splayed leg. You need to make a brace for the legs and put him into a cup for several days.

That is the general procedure but like I said, look up the specifics.

fl.gif
Hoping for the best!
Quails in cups:

You need something to make them want to see out of it, but not so tall they cant move, the point is to not let the legs SPLAY ( as well as the hobble) and make them want to look out and use those muscles. Also has to have grip on the bottom, you can see the vet tape on those slick cups there.
I use vet wrap for hobbles, or reg tape, depending on how much of an escape artist the birds is.

On a interesting note, apparently this happens to puppies too! I met a BYC member yesterday that is doing this to a puppy that was surrendered and fixing its legs .

CHICKEN ORTHOPEDICS ~

Spraddle legged. He needs hobbles to keep his legs under him ... I read about it, but I see others have good suggestions re: putting in cup etc.
On a interesting note, apparently this happens to puppies too! I met a BYC member yesterday that is doing this to a puppy that was surrendered and fixing its legs .
I've heard of singletons that got too heavy to support their body weight ... never heard of it in older puppies though. I'd be concerned there is something else wrong (serious neurological or physiological issues) if it begins to walk splay legged beyond whelping pen stage. Does the fact that is was surrendered refer to a pup brought to the vet/rescue or sent back to the breeder? I've bred dogs for over 20 yrs and have never heard of this happening.

Last edited:
Hello everyone I have a new question. I know we were talking about feeding spent grains from breweries somewhere a while back does anyone know anything about this , I acutally just found a brewery and they said they have someone that comes and takes it all but If I show up befor its gone I can come with a bucket and get some everytime they have any. This would be like every tuesday and friday.
#1 question, can all pourltry be fed spent grains or is it just chickens( what about chuckar or quail ect)
#2 question , is it all / any spent grians or is it just one kind IE barley or hops or rye ect
#3 can you put it in freezer bags and freeze it as I doubt it last to long wet other wise , can it be refrigerated if so how long
#4 queston how long does it last at room temp

thanks
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom