4th Annual BYC NYD Hatch-a-long

Quote:
goodpost.gif

I think they are pure. I guess I will have to ask the lady I got the eggs from too know for sure. It is pretty yellow. I thought as it was drying maybe it would look redder after it was done drying, but still pretty yellow.

Ok, I missed your other posts about this can you point me back to them would like to read up on what you are doing.
Below are some posts related to the project I am working on. It was suggested that I enter this in one of the hatch along contests, so I think I will. This link will take you to the real time web page that shows me my incubators and how they are doing (the graph styles might change, but I am just tweaking it to be more of what I want). I get regular email alerts telling me my humidity has strayed or my temp has gone down to *Critical*, although this is only because I open the lid. The graphs help me to see how each incubator is doing as far as heat loss and efficiency. Some might think this is totally not necessary, but for a lot of us out there that use home made incubators is is invaluable to see where improvements can be made. I see that Incubator one may need some reworking as the graph shows the light having to be turned on often to keep the temp within the parameters. If anyone wants to follow this project just keep an eye out on the contest page for inventions.

After the hatch along is over and I collect more data I might be able to put into production a few Beta models to be tested by some BYC members. Perhaps if all goes very well, I can offer a completed product as a prize for another hatch along! All feedback from BYC members is very useful! I look forward to creating a real game changer for us DIYers. :)

WELL! Now that you mention it....the whole system I am using right now is a complex working of micro processors and programming that should yield a product for people with home made incubators or even nice incubators but failed or lacking temp/humidity sensors. This is test run # 1 and test run #2 will be the hatch along! It will tell you temp, humidity in real time, allow you to set the range for both. It will also send you alerts when you go outside that safe range (email and working on text), and will run up to 4 incubators at the same time. I am also going to see about integrating oxygen sensors and a movement detection sensor to alert you to when your eggs might begin to hatch. If all goes well I will be employing kickstarter to begin taking orders for beta models to go out to a select few customers. WE SHALL SEE!!!

wee.gif

SET 24 eggs with more on the way!! But these will definitely count towards the Hatch Along. My other eggies got caught in the mail :( I could not get the atomic clock working on the laptop (needed flash updates) but took a pic of the date/time stamps on the same laptop. Hope this counts! Also, I posted pics of the temp/humidity monitor page I set up. Will let me see a constant graph of the temp/humidity and send alerts if these go outside my set parameters. Hope it helps me out for my first hatch!

Eggs set are: 6 BLRW, 8 Basque (EO), and 10 Wheten Marans. Still have Silkies and Lemon Blue Bantam Cochin eggs on the way!! But these are it for the Hatch Along! HAPPY HATCHING EVERYONE!!

Quote: Thanks
smile.png
Thankfully the pieces of the puzzle are relatively affordable. And the price to produce goes down the more you make in volume. So the finished product (minus oxygen and movement sensors) *might* run you anywhere from $100-250 depending on the production/materials costs and how many orders I can get. I will keep you in mind as a beta tester though
wink.png

Anyone ever have a yellow chick hatch out of Rhode Island Red eggs before?
Where did your RIR eggs come from? Most yellow chicks are white as adults. If they are from a hatchery RIR bred to a hatchery RIR or other hatchery bird, it could easily end up white since most hatchery birds have some cross breeding in their background. Those hidden genes are just looking for a way to express themselves. Looking on the bright side, if it is a pullet, it will more than likely lay lots of eggs for you!

Last edited:
Welcome aboard the crazy train!! Is that gorgeous bird in your Avatar a black Orp!? So cool that you grew up hatching chicks.
Well, Thank You! This Iris was my mother's and was her favorite, it is very special to me.
Thanks for all the good vibes on the eggs....but still no show. My tracking number shows them still in LIttle Rock. Is a road trip in order? or perhaps I should search out some quail to fill the bator...can't have a half full bator now, right?
I'm still a new egg so please tell me if I can or should use the quotes differently.

In response to the first sentence by Blarneyeggs, yes she is a black / lav split, 50% English Import Orp. She and two others I own are the first English Import Orp. I had ever seen. I am hoping to take my flock in that direction, larger, more stout than the other Orpintons I have seen. I have the poultry addiction bad. I guess I am in the right place!!!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom