4th Annual BYC NYD Hatch-a-long

Two important notes:

1. The member list can be seen here. I am only able to update it every couple of days due to having access to my computer and trying to get ready for my first poultry show.

2. We are setting chicken eggs Dec 11 at noon local time, not Dec 10. If you are not home at noon, you will set as close to noon as you can (but not before)

I'm gonna join in too. I've had a lot of fun during the NYD hatches in the past. I have 2 bators full right now, but I'll fire up a third one on 12/11/12.

Last edited:
Where and what are you showing?
I

I'm showing at the Eastern Iowa Poultry Show in Iowa City. I'm taking the following:
Black Langshan Cock
Speckled Sussex pullet
SC Rhode Island Red Hen
Welsummer Hen
Bantam Black Langshan Cock
Bantam Black Langshan Cockerel
Bantam Black Langshan Pullet
Bantam White Langshan Pullet
Iowa Blue Cock

I just signed up !!
wee.gif

Hopefully I will be hatching d'Uccles, Lavender Ameraucana, Olive Eggers. Most of the pullets are close to be laying around 22 weeks, The d'ccle's longer, but I have hens in there also. So hopefully I will have a few of those. I've been
cheer.gif
them on, bribing with treats, well the Porcelain d'Uccle got the hint and laid today, she was the last girl I thought would lay.
chicken-45.gif
That is what I will have them doing here soon, right in the coop and in the nesting boxes. Maybe I need to
MSN-Emoticon-123.gif
You are under my power, sit in the nest
animals-42.gif
and lay an egg
easter-eggs-49.gif
Have you ever tried hatching those early eggs? Or do they need to be laying "grown up" eggs?

It is really cold for chicks. I normally neveer have chicken in the house. For this special event I am making part of the basement a brooder for a few months. It is not going to be fun when they are about 6-8 weeks old. I hope by than I will have a new area done in coop that can keep them warm. I am insulating a special area for chicks. I am more worried about lack of sunlight in the basement and no exposure to the ground. Guess time will tell how this works out. I will have to make sure to bring in soil, dirt, etc.

can you tell me why the dirt is important? I've never heard that comment before. We raise the chick in old leaky water troughs in the garage. There is some sun light from the window in the door, but no soil.

I
I'm showing at the Eastern Iowa Poultry Show in Iowa City. I'm taking the following:
Black Langshan Cock
Speckled Sussex pullet
SC Rhode Island Red Hen
Welsummer Hen
Bantam Black Langshan Cock
Bantam Black Langshan Cockerel
Bantam Black Langshan Pullet
Bantam White Langshan Pullet
Iowa Blue Cock
I might contact you next year on those Langshans.. One breed I really want.

Back
Top Bottom