~* 4th annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey/Chicken hatchathon! *~

Need some advice. I have six shipped SFH eggs in the incubator with bad air cells. They have been sitting up for days up the air cells still move. But I also have two other local mix eggs that are developing and have great air cells.

Question, I will be gone on vaction tonight till Monday, what should I do about turning? Maybe set the mini on minimal turning?

Last edited:
I had a turkey hen last year who would remove appendages if I got anywhere close. I swiped a few eggs when I sneaked in and she was off the nest. But she caught me and after that, she kept a watch out for me. We'd race for the nest box. She started changing the times she got off the nest after that. I rarely caught her off, so she had plenty of extra eggs. She kept laying while sitting almost the entire time. She's since been re-homed. I did warn the new owner that she can be a might protective of her eggs.

I have 3 young hens now that all want to go broody. I don't have a tom, so no fertile eggs. We get to practice being nice girls while I collect eggs. One's stopped laying, but she's been brooding a golf ball, so I took it out yesterday. I might give them a few chicken eggs after the new coop gets built and see how their mothering skills are.

ROFL GOOOOOOD mommma hen!!!

Well I'm down to one Dominique egg that starts lockdown tomorrow along with some duck eggs =)

I'm on day 7 for the Turkey eggs and still look clear =/ the duck eggs set on same day are definitely developing.. I think the usps scrambled them =/ probably in Washington =/ but everything else is looking good.. pending the d'uccle eggs that are only on day two =)

Last edited:
Need some advice. I have six shipped SFH eggs in the incubator with bad air cells. They have been sitting up for days up the air cells still move. But I also have two other local mix eggs that are developing and have great air cells.

Question, I will be gone on vaction tonight till Monday, what should I do about turning? Maybe set the mini on minimal turning?

I would do what is best for the viable eggs. The shipped eggs sound iffy at best. That makes my recommendation to turn the eggs.

For shipped eggs, I now do not turn them for the first 2-3 or so days of incubation to further allow the air cells to stabilize. Many people incubate without turning or turning very little but I wouldn't advise it. Not turning, or minimal turning over the weekend it should be OK. Shipped eggs are typically much more expensive so I personally do my best to increase my odds with whatever I have the most investment in.

Chicks started hatching last night. Temps dropped to 70 yesterday because my bator got unplugged for about 10 hours while I was gone. NOT good for active hatching. Had a couple hatch with yolk sacs not completely absorbed & a couple quit after pipping. Hopefully the rest will get back in gear & finish hatching ok.

Chicks started hatching last night. Temps dropped to 70 yesterday because my bator got unplugged for about 10 hours while I was gone. NOT good for active hatching. Had a couple hatch with yolk sacs not completely absorbed & a couple quit after pipping. Hopefully the rest will get back in gear & finish hatching ok.

I hope your hatch continues with no issues. Good luck!

I candled yesterday and finally culled eggs - 2 of the 16 of my own eggs were not developing and were tossed, the rest look evenly developed and viable. Out of the 12 shipped eggs I set, only 1 is developing
fl.gif
. I have been trying for several years to get this breed for the blue plumage that i want to add back to my flock but I haven't been successful yet. The last remaining egg is developing well, good veining and movement just like my own eggs so I am hoping for the best. I would be happy with anything blue or splash from that egg, cockerel or not.

Back
Top Bottom