~* 4th annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey/Chicken hatchathon! *~

I plan to candle one last time tomorrow morning. Then I'll put the eggs all on the lowest shelf by themselves. This way when its time to put them in the lockdown drawer, Im just moving the lowest shelf and not hunting out the eggs from all 3 shelves.

Other news, I got 2 out of 4 turkey poults from my broody turkey. I had given her eggs right before they went to lockdown as a speedy way to break the broody turkey. But all that happened was her sister turkey hen decided to be a broody too and having 2 hens in the nest made for tight quarters. The other 2 eggs got stepped on along with all but 2 of the newer eggs. So I have 2 semi started turkey eggs in my incubator right now. And I have 2 turkey hens that are back to roosting next to their tom after only a couple of hours off angry strutting around the locked off nesting pen.

=) six ducklings hatched so far and lots of pips, and now the goose eggs are pipping too =)
tongue.png

And the award for worst camera phone photo ever contest is...
Do you ever get the feeling that the first little chick out of the egg is just looking around thinking "What is taking you all so long? Gah, so lazy get out so I can play!"

I forgot about this HAL but as luck would have it I set eggs on April 13,14 and 15. So if it's not too late, I'm in but if it is too late that's OK too. They'll be hatching the 4th, 5th, and 6th anyway.
I set 28 chicken eggs in all.
8 Black Penedesencas on the 13th
2 BP and 2 Olive Eggers on the 14th
16 BP and 1 OE on the 15th

I forgot about this HAL but as luck would have it I set eggs on April 13,14 and 15. So if it's not too late, I'm in but if it is too late that's OK too. They'll be hatching the 4th, 5th, and 6th anyway.
I set 28 chicken eggs in all.
8 Black Penedesencas on the 13th
2 BP and 2 Olive Eggers on the 14th
16 BP and 1 OE on the 15th

Glad to have you join in! Good luck on your hatch!

I gave my friend 7 eggs from my hens for his broody on April 7th, so they hatched out one week ahead of our May 5th hatch. 5 eggs developed and hatched, the other two were clear either infertile or day 1 or 2 quitters (I didn't open them just candled and tossed).

It is so much fun seeing natural hatches, the chicks seem so robust even on day 1 compared to light bulb raised chicks. This is her second time raising chicks and she is very good at it, even at the incubation part it seems. I am excited to see them grow up and it gave me a little preview of what next week should look like.

I gave my friend 7 eggs from my hens for his broody on April 7th, so they hatched out one week ahead of our May 5th hatch. 5 eggs developed and hatched, the other two were clear either infertile or day 1 or 2 quitters (I didn't open them just candled and tossed). It is so much fun seeing natural hatches, the chicks seem so robust even on day 1 compared to light bulb raised chicks. This is her second time raising chicks and she is very good at it, even at the incubation part it seems. I am excited to see them grow up and it gave me a little preview of what next week should look like.
What breed is she?

What breed is she?
Mutt or Easter Egger essentially, she lays a nice green nearly olive colored egg. I got her eggs with my project Ameraucana/leghorn cross eggs but her egg was from a slightly more brown "off white." My guess is that her egg was from a black sex link hen and she got the barring gene from the White Leghorn/Ameraucana cross cockerel covering the flock.

Last edited:
So 21 ducklings hatched and 2 goslings =) and the assorted bantam Cochin eggs are peeping with one already out =)

Oh and my three broody cochins have 9 chicks between them =) 4/4/1 the one with 1 is lowest in the totem pole so I'll be keeping an eye on her chick.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom