~* 4th annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey/Chicken hatchathon! *~

What breed did you order?

A breed I have been wanting since i got into chickens - and essentially the same type of hybrid breeding project I already have going but with new blood. University of Arkansas Blue Egg layers, or U of A blues for short. They are a cross breed of White Leghorn and Araucana selectively bred to be tailed blue birds that are supposed to lay very prolifically. My own breeding project is a cross between White Leghorn and Blue Ameraucana, selectively bred for pea combs/blue eggs and I am working towards pure black/blue plumage but that will take a while.

A breed I have been wanting since i got into chickens - and essentially the same type of hybrid breeding project I already have going but with new blood.  University of Arkansas Blue Egg layers, or U of A blues for short.  They are a cross breed of White Leghorn and Araucana selectively bred to be tailed blue birds that are supposed to lay very prolifically.  My own breeding project is a cross between White Leghorn and Blue Ameraucana, selectively bred for pea combs/blue eggs and I am working towards pure black/blue plumage but that will take a while. 

Where did you get those eggs?

I hope to set three mixed chicken eggs today (I'll be home on weekends and want to see them hatch) and hopefully my SFH will arrive this week! :D

A breed I have been wanting since i got into chickens - and essentially the same type of hybrid breeding project I already have going but with new blood.  University of Arkansas Blue Egg layers, or U of A blues for short.  They are a cross breed of White Leghorn and Araucana selectively bred to be tailed blue birds that are supposed to lay very prolifically.  My own breeding project is a cross between White Leghorn and Blue Ameraucana, selectively bred for pea combs/blue eggs and I am working towards pure black/blue plumage but that will take a while. 
That sounds beautiful! Do you have pics of your birds?
1f603.png

I may be joining this hatch a long. I had no plans to set more eggs after the Easter Hatch a long, but my Cochin has other plans and is firmly sitting in her nest growling lol. She seems ready so I might slip chicken eggs under her on the 14th. I will keep you all posted.

Well I set bantam cochins today, not sure if they count. But I'll be setting lf eggs on the 14th all ready have a flat ready to go in =) can't wait to see what colors I get from the "assorted" Cochin eggs =D Three cheers for Sueg4332 she hooked me up =) wish I had the little dancy emoticon smily face lol

Well I set bantam cochins today, not sure if they count. But I'll be setting lf eggs on the 14th all ready have a flat ready to go in =) can't wait to see what colors I get from the "assorted" Cochin eggs =D Three cheers for Sueg4332 she hooked me up =) wish I had the little dancy emoticon smily face lol

Good luck! I am still dialing in my incubator temperatures, it's been a while since i turned it on.

One thing I noticed about my 1602n circulated air incubator is that the temperature it holds varies depending on humidity level. Has anyone else noticed that when the humidity increases, their set temperature becomes lower? Or is it my thermometer? "dry" 10% humidity it was spiking up to 102+F peak, at 70% it was holding a 99F peak, really strange. It means when I go into lockdown I have to increase my thermostat a bit to maintain proper temps.

That sounds beautiful! Do you have pics of your birds?
1f603.png

I have pictures of my girls, but they aren't terribly pretty, just black and barred for the time being (barring coming from the White Leghorn in the cross).

These two are my latest pullets I hatched after a raccoon attack took one of their mothers.

Here they are helping me till up the ground in preparation for planting pumpkins
smile.png
. Well, really they are just waiting for those worms that the tiller kept kicking up.

I made a hybrid from my cuckoo marans hen (only have one left)and my cream legbars . Got 2 pullets and one roo. All are barred like the cuckoo. they lay beautiful green eggs. wish my camera would take the right color. Plus they lay almost everyday
Sounds like a great Olive Egger :).

I crossed one of my project blue egg layers to my Red Star hen for olive eggs. She turned out to be my best egg layer other than my White Leghorn hen of course. I am planning to breed her son back to the Red Star, crossing my fingers they are half as productive as she was, she would rarely miss a day in a months time but she was also very young too so that always helps.

Hi everyone!
frow.gif
It turns out that I will actually be able to join this Hatch-along too this year! I just got a shipment of Red English Orpington hatching eggs in the mail this morning, and I am letting them rest overnight and will set them tomorrow morning! I got these off e-bay, been wanting to get them for a while, and just happened to win the auction that was delivered just in time for this hatch-along!
yesss.gif
I have Blue Copper Marans (from the same ebay seller) and Silkies (home flock) in one incubator right now, due to hatch on the 24th & 25th, but thankfully I have another LG incubator that I can stagger hatch in.

See you all around and may your hatches go well!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom