4wk old chick wierd hip

Keanu1

In the Brooder
Aug 5, 2019
Hi everyone
My little chick has had a bad run. He broke his leg which I had fixed at the Vet but his hip isn't right. I pointed it out at the Vets from the X ray only to be told it was just the way he was laying when they did the X ray. Now I'm not a Vet, but common sense can see it's not right. I've tried everything I can but can't get any help. Apparently its "just a chicken put him down" but I'm not taking that crap. Does anyone have any idea what I can do please. If I exhaust all avenues then I will put him to sleep but I have to try everything I can. I'll include the xray so you can see what I mean.
Thankyou
Tanya

Attachments

• 20190810_154335.jpg
    20190810_154335.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 20
Sorry about your rooster. How didi the vet treat the broken leg? Is he able to walk at all or get around well enough to feed and water himself? Upper leg injuries are more serious than lower leg breaks. Most of us here are not vets, so it would be hard to know if there is something in the xray or just a positional picture. Do you think the hip is dislocated? Leg and other boney deformities can be common in all poultry. Is there any possibility that the vet could see him now?

Sorry about your rooster. How didi the vet treat the broken leg? Is he able to walk at all or get around well enough to feed and water himself? Upper leg injuries are more serious than lower leg breaks. Most of us here are not vets, so it would be hard to know if there is something in the xray or just a positional picture. Do you think the hip is dislocated? Leg and other boney deformities can be common in all poultry. Is there any possibility that the vet could see him now?
Thanks for your reply, unfortunately I can't afford to take him back to the vet at the moment. Has already racked up $600. He moves around not too badly but his leg just points straight out. I'm making him a wheelchair that I found on the internet for chickens so hopefully that works a little. He doesn't seem to be in any pain but it sometimes it does annoy the hell out of him and I feel it could be painful at times.

I wouldn’t give up trying to get some more responses to your thread here. Saturday evenings are a bit slow here, so just keep updating your thread, perhaps showing a picture, and giving more tidbits of information in the next few days.

Do you know what his breed is? Did the vet splint his leg, and for how long? Just for some reading, here is a link about splinting and chances of recovery from certain fractures in birds:
https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

Another about common leg bone deformities:
https://www.researchgate.net/public..._of_the_Intertarsal_Joint_in_Broiler_Chickens

I wouldn’t give up trying to get some more responses to your thread here. Saturday evenings are a bit slow here, so just keep updating your thread, perhaps showing a picture, and giving more tidbits of information in the next few days.

Do you know what his breed is? Did the vet splint his leg, and for how long? Just for some reading, here is a link about splinting and chances of recovery from certain fractures in birds:
https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

Another about common leg bone deformities:
https://www.researchgate.net/public..._of_the_Intertarsal_Joint_in_Broiler_Chickens

Thank you
He's an Australian game rooster with Isa Brown hen. He was hatched normally but one of the other hens must've stood on him when he was 1wk old. I'll keep trying and will check out the links you've sent me. Thanks again☺

Thank you
He's an Australian game rooster with Isa Brown hen. He was hatched normally but one of the other hens must've stood on him when he was 1wk old. I'll keep trying and will check out the links you've sent me. Thanks again☺
This is his Dad and Mum

Attachments

• 20190709_085117.jpg
    20190709_085117.jpg
    491.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20190802_133012.jpg
    20190802_133012.jpg
    366.3 KB · Views: 13
It's been a few years since I was reading xrays on a daily basis as a vet tech but it looks dislocated to me.
Thank you I thought the same but the vet wasn't helpful in that regard. Is there a way you know of that I can strap it.

It would have to be returned to the socket and then a way to wrap so that you're hugging the hips together so to speak until the ligaments hopefully tighten up again. In other animals, the longer it's out of socket the less like it is to stay once it's repositioned correctly. I'm not sure how you'd wrap a chick without interfering with defecating.

Back
Top Bottom