4wk Old White Silkies - NEW TO THE SILKIE WORLD

I have 3 red silkie bantams that were hatched 10/28/08 so I dont know anything specific about silkies yet but I just wanted to say welcome to silkies and hope we can chat some more and learn about silkies together!!

I just wanted to add, we sometimes keep ours in the house in a big rubbermaid tub just for fun and to enjoy them more. We will probably do it more in the winter! The kids love them and they don't mind being played with.
smile.png

Quote:
If you are insinuating that I was not helful, disrespectful, and conceited, I do not appreciate it.

Although, if you think you could be the beginners "ambassador" privately, more power to ya. It would take some of the load off of me....

ROFL, I was wondering how long it would take someone to warn her about the evil she has wrought upon herself. Why, my silkies had me under their power from inside the shell!! And then later the ones I have now seem to have the mind control thing going...

"human, bring me my meal worms, chop chop!! Don't waste a minute!!"

"cuddle me! Coo at me!!! Now do my bidding!!" muhahahahahaha

I am pretty sure they scheme the minute i am out of sight.

On a serious note, I would advocate paying close attention to their feet too, as their foot feathering can harbor ouchie things...burrs and other prickly things, against their legs and toes. Someone here posted a thread with detailed instructions and photos about bathing them. That has already come in handy when my other chickens got tomato sauce (left over spaghetti) all over them.

Happy chickening!!

I am also new to silkies and I have three right now living in my garage until we get the bantam coop done. They are VERY sweet little things and everything seems to pick on them except my polish hen. She is very nice to them so I put them all together. I take care of them as I do my older chickens. They are about 10 -12 weeks old now and are ADORABLE. They WILL steal your soul like previously mentioned
love.gif
Here is my blue but now sure if it's a girl or a boy.

asilkie1.jpg

Hangin with my Peeps, that is one beautiful blue boy.
Silkie chicks are the sweetest your really going to enjoy your silkies.

009-9.jpg

I have raised many kinds and colors of Silkies. They are just like other chickens but I found they don't do well with the larger breeds and bantams that are real active. They are quiet and not" pushy "enough and don't compete well for food and nests. They crow but their crow isn't very loud so they are good for cities. I kept them in the city because my neighbors didn't realize they were chickens- we kept just hens then- and we weren't supposed to have chickens.

If you are looking to get more silkies the blue splash silkies are gorgous. When we moved to the country we kept 4 colors of silkies in separate runs, white, black, blue and buff.

We used to keep silkies inside in our exotic bird aviaries to clean up seeds on the floor. We used them occaisionally to hatch other birds eggs. We hatched many pheasant eggs under them. The hens are a little upset when the pheasants start flying in a day or two but they are wonderful moms.

Be careful with your children handling the birds. Have them wash their hands well, not like kids usually do, as any type of chicken can carry salmonella.

Silkies do make good pets. Did you see the pbs special on tv last weekend about chickens? There was a lady that swam with her silky on her chest and had a car seat for it in the car. She diapers for it in the house. The special had more normal chicken lovers on it too.

Back
Top Bottom