$5.19/dozen for certified ORGANIC eggs...

LittleChickenRacingTeam

On vacation
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Ontario, CANADA
at my Supermarket.
ep.gif
Crazy thing is the chickens are described as free range in a barn. I don't get it. The manager said these eggs sell better than the commercial caged chicken eggs. Are the really worth a $3 premium.
idunno.gif

http://nationalegg.ca/organic.html

Quote:
I read somewhere that chickens can be considered free range and their eggs packaged as such if they are let out of their cages for a mere 10 minutes/day....... so the barn isn't such a bad deal if you look at it that way.
Not that it's right......
smile.png

Geez ... $5.19 ... I can't believe people would pay that. They could get 2 chicks for that price!
tongue.png

Before my pullets started laying, after my previous hens were taken by a nasty fox, the brand I settled on was Land O lakes free range, not organic. I thought they seemed fresher than some of the organic brands and weren't quite as expensive. Certainly not like homegrown though. Dunno, probably just a random personal preference.

Many of the grocery store definitions can be misleading. Much like freerange can be used if they have access to the outside. Even if it is only a 20 x 20 concrete pad for 500 chickens.

People will pay the price for what they "assume" is a better situation for the chickens.

We get $5.00 a dozen for real free range farm eggs around here without even trying.

Back
Top Bottom