5 chicks turned out to be 3 roosters and 2 hens - What do I do?

Thank you all for the excellent advice. It’s a lot to think about. Everyone had different experiences. I’ll have to watch them and see how they seem.

A bachelor pad does sound like something of interest because thus far they all seem to be docile little guys (all bantam; part silkie).

Anyone dealt with bantam breeds in particular and silkies and silkie mixes? Are they more amenable together?
I had 2 small silky roos for a while, and one killed the other after a few days.

The one time I had a 50:50 ratio, as soon as the cockerels reached sexual maturity (before the pullets), those poor pullets had no peace. The boys were constantly chasing, gang breeding, and harassing them. They couldn’t eat, drink or dust bathe in peace without first one cockerel trying to mate, and another one or two more after that. And these birds were free ranged, so they had plenty of space. It only took a day or so before I got those boys all in a bachelor/ grow out pen so the girls could have some peace.

in your situation, I would build a bachelor pen or remove two or all three cockerels from your flock.

Thank you all for the excellent advice. It’s a lot to think about. Everyone had different experiences. I’ll have to watch them and see how they seem.

A bachelor pad does sound like something of interest because thus far they all seem to be docile little guys (all bantam; part silkie).

Anyone dealt with bantam breeds in particular and silkies and silkie mixes? Are they more amenable together?
I have silkies mixed in with regular birds in the Mixed Flock coop. They get along fine with them.

I own both Largefowl, & Bantam Silkies.

Also I have silkies mixed with bantams, of different breeds, & mixes, all get along well too. This coop also includes silkie mixes.

I had 2 small silky roos for a while, and one killed the other after a few days.
I had two young LF silkie cockerels, & for some reason after reaching 1 year, (They were buddies for a long while) One of them turned savage, & tried killing the other, but he met the chopping block instead. Now my SnuggleBug lives a normal life.

Personally all of my birds are large fowl. I would assume most ways would apply to pretty much all large and small birds but I do have several large pens for my birds. Good luck...

It's hard to say, but my bantam males have had much stronger "personalities". Birds are individuals and you'll just have to keep an eye on things. I can say that when they go through the hormonal shifts there's going to be some amount of fighting, hard to say how violent until it happens. Most Bantams mature early with the exception of most silkies, but again each bird is on its own timetable. Good luck!

That’s a horrifying!! Were they raised together or just introduced as adults? I’ve had quails do that but I thought quails are just horrible and for thirsty in general lol

Thank you all again. It’s just so sad. Guess I’ll just enjoy them all while they can still live together and all the bachelor pad when they reach full maturity

I hope that works and is enough but I will keep you all updated

Also my small Bantam chicks have seemed to have really large personalities 🤣😂 they’re hilarious and I hope they stay hilarious without becoming vicious and territorial adult birds but I guess we shall see

The one time I had a 50:50 ratio, as soon as the cockerels reached sexual maturity (before the pullets), those poor pullets had no peace. The boys were constantly chasing, gang breeding, and harassing them. They couldn’t eat, drink or dust bathe in peace without first one cockerel trying to mate, and another one or two more after that. And these birds were free ranged, so they had plenty of space. It only took a day or so before I got those boys all in a bachelor/ grow out pen so the girls could have some peace.

in your situation, I would build a bachelor pen or remove two or all three cockerels from your flock.
I have silkies mixed in with regular birds in the Mixed Flock coop. They get along fine with them.

I own both Largefowl, & Bantam Silkies.

Also I have silkies mixed with bantams, of different breeds, & mixes, all get along well too. This coop also includes silkie mixes.
I had two young LF silkie cockerels, & for some reason after reaching 1 year, (They were buddies for a long while) One of them turned savage, & tried killing the other, but he met the chopping block instead. Now my SnuggleBug lives a normal life.
Personally all of my birds are large fowl. I would assume most ways would apply to pretty much all large and small birds but I do have several large pens for my birds. Good luck...
It's hard to say, but my bantam males have had much stronger "personalities". Birds are individuals and you'll just have to keep an eye on things. I can say that when they go through the hormonal shifts there's going to be some amount of fighting, hard to say how violent until it happens. Most Bantams mature early with the exception of most silkies, but again each bird is on its own timetable. Good luck!

Here are two of the young silkie mix cockerels if you were interested and I’ll also attach a photo of everyone. The third cockerel is the white silkie. I’ll be moving them out to a small coop outside this weekend

Attachments

• A94DC959-B1BE-475F-90E2-5CF432775737.jpeg
    A94DC959-B1BE-475F-90E2-5CF432775737.jpeg
    355.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 57BF6220-7E19-40DB-BF41-EF52D92FF71D.jpeg
    57BF6220-7E19-40DB-BF41-EF52D92FF71D.jpeg
    472.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 867AC79C-F446-454A-A148-3441BBD1D5E1.jpeg
    867AC79C-F446-454A-A148-3441BBD1D5E1.jpeg
    264.5 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom