5 chicks turned out to be 3 roosters and 2 hens - What do I do?

I recently hatched 6 and have an even split of roos to hens.

I'll be able to keep the roos as we're finally getting out of the city. My plan is a bachelor pad for the 3 using my current coop and run dimensions (5mx6m and coop built for a flock of 6 hens).

I've been proactive with aggressive behavior directed my way - no sitting on my head and no chest bumping, aggressive pecking or charging me allowed. I'm hoping this will carry over into adolescence and they'll remember the time they tried to stand up to my hand in the brooder and got in trouble.

I've only had to do this with my obvious little head roo who is a very energetic almost 5 week old who really likes testing boundaries with the older girls, but he's a quick learner and definitely knows not to challenge me after a few incidents.

Hope it lasts cause he's also quite cuddly and has the better shape and pattern over his same breed brother. I want all my roos for their genetics, so they are guaranteed a home, at least for now.

I hatch out a few hundred chicks every year of which around half will be males. I do grow them out and keep the best as future breeders. Luckily I have had few issues with the males. When they start bothering the females I move the males to bachelor coops and pens and so far as long as there are no females in the mix they do well. I have had an issue or two over the years but very unusual. Good luck...

These are some of the young males in their bachelor pads.
2014-10-07 11.26.20.jpg
2014-11-11 09.59.28.jpg

While I hatch out far fewer than @cmom, the 50/50 split of Pullet to Cockerel holds for me as well - and like her, I keep the best for breeding. The others get culled for table. A process I'm about to start this AM, now that water is warm, knife is SHARP, and table has been bleached.

Have a great morning all!

/edit took 5. Sig adjusted to reflect

Last edited:
I don't process any of my extra males anymore. I take them to our local farm swap and sell them. Luckily I have buyers. I can buy an already processed bird from a butcher down the road from us cheaper than what I can sell my males for and it helps to offset the cost of the feed.

Back
Top Bottom