5 Cochin and 1 Australorp I'm thinking.

Makhtar

Chirping
5 Years
May 29, 2017
London, United Kingdom.
Hi All, I'm another newbie brought a set of hens with the mother but sadly the fox got to my Omlet wooden coop which was suppose to be predator proof and I lost 5 Chicks and the Momma.

Good news is I still have 6 Chickens all healthy and outside from week six, they are now going into 9 Weeks old on Wednesday.

I know the pictures are poor and these chicks were very hyper when I took the pic so it may not be clear to tell what gender they are yet.

I believe I have 3 males and 3 females.

Could you guys please help me in identifying the breed of my birds, I think they are Cochins and the one completely black is an Australorp fingers cross I'm right.

Attachments

• IMG_0250.JPG
    IMG_0250.JPG
    566.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0252.JPG
    IMG_0252.JPG
    617.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0255.JPG
    IMG_0255.JPG
    584.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0257.JPG
    IMG_0257.JPG
    674.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0259.JPG
    IMG_0259.JPG
    718.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0260.JPG
    IMG_0260.JPG
    612.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0261.JPG
    IMG_0261.JPG
    991.9 KB · Views: 16
I would say the whites are Cochin or bantam Cochin the black could be Australopithecus but I can't see the comb or the feet very well. Not sure on the others.

I would say the whites are Cochin or bantam Cochin the black could be Australopithecus but I can't see the comb or the feet very well. Not sure on the others.

Thanks for your quick reply, all of them have feather feet except the black one, and 1 white and 2 brownish have small thick comb looks like it's a double comb the others have a thin comb but all have wattles already since the age of 6 weeks.

They are very quiet even my egg layers which are hybrids are quiet my rooster was also quiet and he was a pekin bantam my neighbour keeps these caged in a shed of about 20 and they make all the noises they can.

Unfortunately it is hard to see well in your photos, but the white ones are not Cochins as it appears to have pea combs, or possibly rose (can't see in photo...what you are describing as thick, double comb). Cochins do not have pea combs, they have single (thin) combs. At least one of the white birds looks to be male if your ages are correct as the comb is pretty fleshy and reddish at 9 weeks of age.

Any bird that has wattles at 6 weeks of age is usually a rooster as pullets don't get comb and wattle development until nearly point of lay.

However, I think I see at least 2 pullets.

My guess would be 4 roosters and 2 pullets....all mixed breeds. No Cochins and not likely Australorp.

LofMc

Unfortunately it is hard to see well in your photos, but the white ones are not Cochins as it appears to have pea combs, or possibly rose (can't see in photo...what you are describing as thick, double comb). Cochins do not have pea combs, they have single (thin) combs. At least one of the white birds looks to be male if your ages are correct as the comb is pretty fleshy and reddish at 9 weeks of age.

Any bird that has wattles at 6 weeks of age is usually a rooster as pullets don't get comb and wattle development until nearly point of lay.

However, I think I see at least 2 pullets.

My guess would be 4 roosters and 2 pullets....all mixed breeds. No Cochins and not likely Australorp.

LofMc

Thats a shame I really was hoping for a Cochin and Australorp. I will try and take better pictures for you just they move so much.

Back
Top Bottom