5 day old chick with broken hip-need help urgent!!

Quote:
I agree. TOday I walked in our coop and one of my momma hen's chicks got out of the enclosure fell into our run and the neighbors roosters pecked it and it was miserable. It's leg was rotated, its eye injured.
hit.gif
For a second I thought, I can save it if I nurse it because I really wanted to keep it, it was my first successful hatch out of my bator. But I knew that was only for me so my DH took out back and ended its suffering. It sucked, but the little chick was hurting and miserable. Now he's not. THat is what gives me relief.

Wait wait wait wait!! I've had a number of chicks, hens, & roos, that have injured a limb, wouldn't put any weight on it, hopping around one-legged, I (foolishly) figured they were done for, but that COMPLETELY recovered within a week or two. I have palpated carefully to see whether there seemed to be an obvious fracture, and didn't find one. But don't write this chick off so quickly. Isolate her or put her with one other chick for company, so she doesn't get picked on, and give her a little time, good food, etc - we are designed to heal! PS: I don't see any abnormality in the leg at all, she is obviously able to flex it in order to hold it up (so it is not "limp"), which is exactly what is called for. It could just be a sprain, and she is doing the chicken version of "non-weight-bearing" while it's healing - she doesn't have any crutches...

Last edited:
She is doing great. She is eating and drinking and hopping all over. Several times each day I do what I call "chicken physical therapy" to see if I can get her to move it again. The great news is that this morning she started wiggling her toes again. I hope that I can help this chick recover, I am not going to give up.

in my experience with other birds, a broken bone is often fatal because infection sets in. that's all I know. Good news on the physical therapy - doesn't sound like it was a break! Woohoo!
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom