5 Day Old Polish Chick Not Pecking/Eating

BayAreaMike408

Chirping
Nov 24, 2020
San Jose, Ca
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Bantam White Crested Black Polish

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Female chick doesn’t peck. Seems lethargic. Doesn’t really leave the heating plate and when she does she peeps until I return her. Hand feeding required.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Since received as a day old chick. Shipped Monday, received Wednesday.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Possible shipping stress, possible blind? No idea.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
I’ve been dipping beak in water every few hours. Daily save a chick. Yesterday hand fed egg yolk with 1 tbsp water and 1/4 tsp sugar. Got it in her mouth, couldn’t tell if she was swallowing.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Multiple chicks, unknown

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
See #7

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

home treat

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
Posted

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use.
Two heating plates, food and water on opposite side. Pee pads and papertowels.

summary:

we received our first 5 baby chicks 2 days ago. One is a white crested black polish hen. She isn‘t pecking at food or water yet. She drinks water when I dip her beak in it, and I’ve been providing save a chick water for her every few hours. Ive also offered her some raw yolk with a little water and sugar mixed in Which I couldn’t tell if she ate or not. She’s still alive so I assume she had some. I’d get it in the mouth but she never tilted her head up like she will with water. she was shipped last Monday as day olds. The issue seems to be she doesn’t ever peck at the ground, for food or water. The other chicks are but she wont even make the motion. I tried scrambled eggs and they ignored it. I try to put her in the food dish and she just peeps and doesn’t want anything to do with it. I’ve spread some starter feed on the paper towels and she just acts like it’s not there. She just won’t make the pecking motion.
Im at a loss as to how I should proceed. I’m nervous she won’t make it much longer with the lack of food. Any help is appreciated.

posted this is chick section. Suggestions were to post here and perhaps she is blind. Eyes look normal but I don’t know how to test. Today while placing beak in water she fell in the water a little and while wife was blow drying we saw the following. I think it’s her crop but I’m new to raising chicks and am not sure.

she seems lethargic, when she leaves the heating source she just peeps until I place her back. She is standing well and aside from lack of pecking and movement, seems otherwise healthy. Can you guys please give me your opinion on what I’m seeing and if it could all be water or if (wishful thinking) she may just be eating during the night or when I’m not watching. Sorry for the lengthy post, wanted to provide all known info.

thanks!

67F757C1-CF8A-474B-9DB3-6F7B4C4436EF.jpeg
281AFC1D-4E32-4B41-8322-361A07CCDA10.jpeg
DE3AECA5-74FC-4873-84C2-9C4415FBEFEA.jpeg

I’m thinking it’s a seriously impacted crop. It looks like a tumor but she hasn’t eaten any solids that I’ve seen since we’ve had her- which would mean she must have eaten some of the shipping material during delivery. Anyone able to confirm this sounds correct?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom