5 females 2 drakes? UPDATE!

EmAbTo48

Songster
8 Years
Jul 9, 2011
Northern Wisconsin
I have had 2 drakes in the past with no problem, I am considering getting 3 more ducks 2 females and a drake. I already have 3 females and a drake.

My question is, is 5 females enough for 2 drakes?

I have had a great experience with 2 drakes till a month ago my one drake just vanished
sad.png

What's the chances this will turn into a bunch of fights between the old drake and the new drake?

UPDATE: Picked up the new trio today, female pekin and rouen and a Rouen drake...Well first couple hours were a lot of quaking, a lot of chasing, and a large amount of time with 2 seperate flocks! I had to go to work, but the hubby said they seem to be just fine now with each other! Hope I see it the same way as he does when I get home
wink.png

Funny thing is I was so worried about the 2 drakes meeting, but they don't care!!! But man the females sure had some pecking orders to establish.... think this will be the last time I get new ducks
smile.png

Last edited:
I believe its something like each drake should have 3-4 females for each male? And maybe even ideally 5 to one? But at least the 3-4 to one. Otherwise you will not only have drake fights but your girls might also get ganged and over mated. Not good. JMHO

I think it once they are introduced and used to each other everyone will be fine. Yes, the drakes will fight a little but I think they will settle out just fine. Just expect that it might get a little rough at first, that is normal since we are doing unnatural things like putting two drake in a pen to share a bunch of females.

It depends on the breed. Runners need a lot more ladies to keep them happy. But I have about 50 ducks with an average of 4 females to every male... I've NEVER seen my mallard-type drakes fighting - one might run a newly introduced male off once or twice but there are enough "cliques" to go around and new groups are established easily when there are plenty of females. I have a newly mature Muscovy drake who just recently established his dominance over the older drake, but they're both very sweet boys so once they set the pecking order everything was fine. I see a lot more dominance setting within my female flocks.

If I were you I'd add another duck or two if you're gonna have two drakes, but, just like with people, you won't know how they all get along until you put them together. Keep an eye on the boys to make sure that they both get some of the girls, or if they all decide to flock together that your girls don't end up with bald heads from overbreeding. Additional drakes often cause extra competition for breeding.

So far my Runner Drake Wadell is the easiest to please of my 4 drakes: He chose one special runner duck and doesn't like any of the others. Also, my Black Swedish, Onyx, chose my only Magpie duck as his mate. Neither of those males try to mate any other ducks and protect their mate best they can. It is one of my two Rouens that is trouble for me: He wants the Runner drake's mate.

I only have 6 ducks, so their are only 4 for the Rouens. I am trying to pick up some additional ducks to see if that will make him happy (someone has 6 Welsh Harlequins for sale locally-calling them in a bit). However, for now Waddles the Rouen is penned up in the juvenile area and banished from the pond for roughing up the Runner Drake.
Jail02.gif

Things were starting to get out of hand about the time I locked up Waddles but luckily, I have some "police" on duty: My pair of Pomeranian geese. I guess they got tired of the ruckus the other day and have started to take charge and let the ducks know they are out of line. Now when the alarm sound I don't know if it is a hawk or a drake issue though, so am making a bunch of trips to the window.
lol.png

Here is a pic of John and Jean my geese keeping a watchful eye on the pond right before Waddles (in on the right) was incarcerated....
46932_water_fowl.jpg

2 drakes raised together generally present little or no problem depending upon the personality of the drakes. Merging a new drake into an established flock, you can expect that there will be fighting. The degree of fighting depends upon the personality of the drakes involved. Far better to hatch some ducklings and 'grow up' another drake in the flock.

Back
Top Bottom