5 gallon chicken waterer help

StinkerChickens

Chirping
Nov 4, 2019
Ok so I have my 5 gallon bucket, 2 half-inch holes opposite each other about an inch from the bottom, lid with a gasket and a plastic oil pan. I filled it with water sealed it up and was very happy with the result until.... The chickens drank all of the water out of the pan and nothing more came out. The pressure inside has sucked the lid all the way down and nothing comes out of the holes. Do I need to remove the gasket to lighten the seal? Make bigger holes? Make more holes? I don't want to ruin a bucket by doing the wrong thing.

I do not like putting holes in the lid. I recommend putting a small hole 1/8” on the side at the top of the bucket. If ontop junk can go in the water.
Edit: Stop!!! Do not do what I just said. I did not read your post correctly. It sounds like you basically made a homemade flip over type waterer. In that case do not add holes up high or it will just drain out. As the water level drops below the holes you have that should allow air in and water out. If that is not working I am not sure what to tell you. Pictures would be very helpful.

Last edited:
:welcome

Do not drill a hole in the lid or near the top
, all the water will drain out without a vacuum seal. You might need to make the holes a little bit bigger, but the first thing I would do is tap the hole from the outside and see if that starts the flow again. Then see if it will refill as the level goes down.

I looked up a waterer like you made. The difference is they made 1 inch holes near the bottom.
https://www.blessthismessplease.com/diy-chicken-water-and-feeder-from-5-gallon-buckets/

Back
Top Bottom