5 gallon insulated chicken water with cups

cholland

Songster
6 Years
Jan 17, 2017
California
i put this together in an afternoon.
IMG_0185.JPG

Still may need some modifications. May need to brace the plumbing a bit, someone will try to sit on it. Might just wire it to the handles for now. Plumbing could be adapted to fit any situation, I'm just setting this up in a brooder for a few weeks.

I used an igloo cooler because it already has a 1/2 hole in it and the insulation keeps water from freezing in my climate. Could easily add a float valve and a heater if wanted. Also keeps water cooler in summer and I can drop some ice in there if I want.

Made an inexpensive bulkhead fitting just using male and female PVC threaded unions and an o-ring. I used 1/2x 1/8FTP tees for chicken nipples, they make it really easy to install nipples or cups. And first time trying out the Royal Rooster drinking cups. These have a float valve instead of something they need to push. A bit on the pricy side, but they look to be working well. My birds don't seem to like the horizontal nipples so giving this a try.

It is very nice but won't work in freezing weather. Everything external to the igloo will freeze. I had drinker cups working when it got below freezing at night and the internal parts of the cup froze and broke.
The only way to keep the water in the PVC from freezing is to keep the water circulating in the pipe and the cup valves will still freeze.

Correct, as shown the pipes could freeze. For my situation it works. It barely gets below freezing here.

For extreme cold temps cups are probably not the best. Horizontal nipples would be preferred. And you would want to plumb it with a return to circulate water. An aquarium pump and heater would be all that should be needed.

It's a nice job and am not trying to knock it but just wondering how much COOL water they are getting. I ask this because I don't see chickens using so much water that there would be enough flow in the PVC and replaced with cool water before it gets warmed.

Back
Top Bottom