5 hens 1 nest box

So, my chickens live in a small 3 sided barn that was here when we bought the property. It has 3 large nest boxes that were already there, too. The boxes are big enough for 2 hens to sit side by side with plenty room.
5 hens have decided they are going to share the same box whether I like it or not. I didn't realize 4 of them were even broody until I cracked an egg from a different box and got a bowl full of embryo! As of 2 days ago, 4 hens have set up in 1 box and today the fifth has insisted on that box too. She left her clutch and sat in the crowded box. I moved her back twice then gave up and moved her eggs. Three (at least) chicks hatched today, they run around underneath the hens and pop up periodically, but i have no idea who's they are.

My question is will this arrangement become a problem and, if so, what should I do?

How can i upload a pic from my phone?

You could have one nest box for each hen and they would still try to cramp themselves into one. Don't try to figure it out. Dont interfere. They know what they are doing. If anything you could try to snag a chick and move it to the brooder when it pops up. Chicks raised by broody hens are usually pretty gunshy when it comes to being around people.

You could have one nest box for each hen and they would still try to cramp themselves into one. Don't try to figure it out. Dont interfere. They know what they are doing. If anything you could try to snag a chick and move it to the brooder when it pops up. Chicks raised by broody hens are usually pretty gunshy when it comes to being around people.
None of my adult chickens are particularly friendly, they stay out of reach. I've handled my hens more since the chicks hatched then I ever have. I handle the chicks, too, but i get pecked a lot.

One of the two chicks that hatched yesterday was dead in the run this morning. No sign of anything, just dead . My guess is neglect, that hen didn't seem too invested.

I just found the other of yesterday's chicks dead, obviously pecked to death. Maybe I should have looked closer at the other.

I'm taking all the eggs away from those two hens.

The three raising chicks together, and especially the 2 black ones, seem very attentive.

Yeah, it's best to gather all eggs daily, whether you eat them or not...cause now you have more egg layers, and probably too many males.
I actually like roosters and i have plenty room for them to free range!

Update
The 2 black hens are raising the 5 chicks while the white hen gave up and went back to setting. This morning there was a dark colored chick in her nest box. She has 3 more eggs.

Had an invader the other night.
I was on the back porch when i heard the chickens get excited and I could see something in the hole in the back of my coop. So I went out and saw a small possum looking through the nylon mesh right at the chicks . Behind the coop where the possum was is grown up with saplings I haven't gotten around to clearing yet. I grabbed a stick and went in the coop and poked and cussed it till it ran off. If the possum was a little more motivated, that nylon mesh wouldn't have slowed him down at all!

Back
Top Bottom