5 month old pullet took a bite out of 3 week old chick, should I be doing anything else?

Mar 25, 2020
a house, with a roof.
I have a little cage, in the run, that I have been putting my three three week old chicks in for the past few days. The big chickens don’t really like the small chickens, and they have been making that very clear. Attacking the cage, attacking the box I transport the chicks in, and today, taking a bite out of a chick while I was putting them into the cage.

It probably happened around noon ish, so it’s been a good four hours since it happened. I’ve been applying Vetericyn every two hours ( I know that’s probably overkill, but I’ve been very worried about it), and I separated her from the other chicks ( Who all went inside after the incident, and they won’t be heading back out for another few weeks). Should I be doing anything else? ( pictures coming soon)

Pictures:
750041D7-CCA6-40FB-BBB9-145A1956E79B.jpeg
99231C4A-45D7-45FE-8969-F1B1AEDBF59B.jpeg
0FD4A883-EA43-4C92-BBA8-0ADC638E8B94.jpeg
CC497D94-2F45-45F6-A554-6B1CF06AF8B7.jpeg

I gave my girl a strict talking to about how you don’t try and eat baby chicks, just incase any of you were wondering. The chick, Poppy, has been acting pretty normal. She is active, eating, pooping, drinking, etc.

You’re doing look, don’t touch so that’s good. The bite was while you were moving them, so it’s not like they were alone together. So I think behaviorally everything is fine - just an accident.
For the wound, I would clean it and add neosporin or something. Then unfortunately that’s it. Don’t wrap it.

edit: I just saw the pics. She will be just fine. Clean and antibac the wound twice a day for a few days.

You’re doing look, don’t touch so that’s good. The bite was while you were moving them, so it’s not like they were alone together. So I think behaviorally everything is fine - just an accident.
For the wound, I would clean it and add neosporin or something. Then unfortunately that’s it. Don’t wrap it.

edit: I just saw the pics. She will be just fine. Clean and antibac the wound twice a day for a few days.
Okay. I’m just really worried, since it looks pretty bad.

Also you don't need to isolate it if the chicks are not pecking at the wound and you can stop the bleeding and red appearance.For me it scabbed by the end of the day (4 hours) and I put the chick back with the others.
The chicks were pecking at the wound before I separated her ( I separated her about 5 minutes after it happened), which makes me hesitant to even think of putting them all together again.

Back
Top Bottom