5 mos old GP to watch my girls.. Help!

NewLadyMom22

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2022
I need help. Has anyone trained a GP or is there someone you might know who can assist me? I have had many different breeds in my lifetime and had no issues training (behavioral), but training to watch over chickens is a big difference not to mention the beautiful GP have a mind of their own.

I’m new to keeping chickens as well , but I’m learning so much from the great people of BYC. ☺️ I never seen myself doing any of this being a city girl, but after moving to the country 10 years ago…. I’m truly enjoying this life (took some gettin used to) lol , but I wouldn’t have it any other way now!

You are supposed to keep the puppy with the sheep, I mean chickens, all day and all night. This is so he accepts them as family and they accept him.

You would have a shed or barn with a door that the puppy can get into but the sheep cannot. So he can't be bullied. In your case, you want a building with an entry too small for the puppy but large enough for the chickens so the chickens can escape from the puppy.

You also have to spend time with the puppy to train him and he will accept humans. Sit and stay are very important, as is "leave it". Don't use "no", use "leave it" as that command is very specific. I rescue dogs and you would be amazed how many have absolutely no training.

Back
Top Bottom