5 Rescue Hens: help with breeds pls

suburbanminifarm

Songster
10 Years
Jul 29, 2009
N.San Diego County
Hi everyone,
I just did my good deed for the day by picking up these 5 hens from an animal shelter in another city. They asked me to rehome or keep these girls after they were legally confiscated from a bad home-- the shelter is NOT set up to deal with chickens and they were in a cement dog run surrounded by large barking dogs. Now I just need to get some breed I.D.'s so I can post them in the "For sale" section.

I know the (sorry hon) ugly one is a EE, and I think the red ones are bad quality RIR's????
The black one is incredibly tiny, I don't think the pic shows it well, like the size of a small pigeon.
The white one has motor oil all over her, those aren't black markings.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!
smile.png

#1=Light red hen
37921_220.jpg

#2 Dark red hen
37921_222.jpg

#3 EE hen
37921_223.jpg

#4 White hen
37921_224.jpg

#5 Black tiny hen
37921_230.jpg

Another of black tiny hen just cause she's cute!
37921_228.jpg

Edited to add: the black one is only a little bigger than a Pepsi can!
37921_234.jpg

Last edited:

barred-rocks-rock

Can't stick with a Title
10 Years
Jul 5, 2009
1 and 2 Are Red Sex Links. Three is an Easter Egger. The white one, I dont know. Is the black one a Bantam?

jeslewmazer

Songster
Nov 24, 2009
Mississippi
Since you can not be guaranteed what breed they are I would not suggest you list them as pure, but maybe list as possible breed or such.
#1- looks like Gold Sexlink or any derivative of such as Golden Comet, Cinnamon Queen, etc. Plainly put she looks like a hybrid.
#2- Basically the same a #1 but would probably have a different name depending on the cross, but she looks like a hybrid too.
#3- Yes she looks like a EE
#4- looks like a White Leghorn
#5- She does resemble a Black Old English Bantam, but I'm not sure if she is due to the white feathering or if she is just Poor Show Quality, but she could be a cross too. I never could find pure bred bantams in my area because most don't know what they have, so I had to order from a hatchery.

It is hard to tell from the pics what color legs #1,2,and 4 have. If they are yellow legged then the breeds should be right.
It is easier to re-home hens than roosters so you should get good homes for then fairly soon if not immediately. But Good Luck.

suburbanminifarm

Songster
10 Years
Jul 29, 2009
N.San Diego County
Thank you all for your expert replies! I knew you'd come up with the right answers. I understand they are quite common and not *ahem* the prettiest chickens in the world but still I am confident that after a bath I can rehome them in this area. I'll post their ad in the for sale (free) section tomorrow when I get a chance!

*HappyMtn =why is the white one a white rock not leghorn? Just simply out of curiosity....

Top Bottom