5 Things You Wish Someone Told You Before Getting Quail?

Phneyda

Songster
Nov 6, 2020
I thought this could be a helpful thread to start!

Including the following info in your posts will probably help others more:
  • What type of quail you have
  • Whether you keep your quail indoors or outdoors
  • Whether your family considers them as pets or livestock

I have pet Coturnix quail. We keep them indoors.

5 Things You Wish Someone Told You Before Getting Quail?

1. Extra Extra: There's no guarantee you'll be able to rehome the extra birds (even for free).
  2. Cleaning: They eat a lot, so they poop a lot, so they can stink, quickly. Figure out a cleaning routine and stick to it to reduce odor as much as possible. Using newspaper or puppy pads as cage liners helps clean cages quicker.
  3. Bedding and Birdbaths: Figuring out the right bedding for your setup can take time if you have a wireless cage bottom. If you have rabbits or guinea pigs, timothy hay is a great option available in large bales in a farm/fleet store b/c it smells great and has multiple uses. Poultry grit, and sand can also help reduce the number and size of little dirt balls on the feet. Talking about dirt balls, you may have to buck popular advice and let your birds soak their feet in a warm tub or pool if they develop little dirt/poop balls on their feet.
  4. Wake Up Call: Males crow at dawn and dusk. Its not as loud as a rooster, but if you have thin walls or sensitive hearing it can get annoying quickly. You can trick them with lighting.
  5. 🥚🥚🥚: Females lay eggs, anytime of the day, not just in the morning. Its ok if the eggs stay in the cage for a few days or a week (or two). Put them in a deep bowl of water and throw out any that float. Leaving the eggs in the cages for days is not ideal, but mistakes and vacations happen.

I have 15 quail -- 12 hens and 3 roos -- I've harvested my fair share over the year.

1. Don't be too "kind-hearted." If you have enough birds, you'll have enough drama. Getting rid of the problem birds will let the remaining ones lead happier lives.

2. It isn't just eggs and meat. Learn how to compost correctly and thanks to quail you'll have veggies galore to go with your meal.

3. You can never have enough cages. Learn how to build coops.

4. Quail eggs have excellent trade value.

5. Lastly, you'll learn a lot about humans by watching quail. They can be quite competitive and sometimes someone just doesn't like someone else. If in doubt, refer to point #1.

I have 15 quail -- 12 hens and 3 roos -- I've harvested my fair share over the year.

1. Don't be too "kind-hearted." If you have enough birds, you'll have enough drama. Getting rid of the problem birds will let the remaining ones lead happier lives.

2. It isn't just eggs and meat. Learn how to compost correctly and thanks to quail you'll have veggies galore to go with your meal.

3. You can never have enough cages. Learn how to build coops.

4. Quail eggs have excellent trade value.

5. Lastly, you'll learn a lot about humans by watching quail. They can be quite competitive and sometimes someone just doesn't like someone else. If in doubt, refer to point #1.
Doh. After I read this, I think I need to say that I didn't mean. . .I meant to say. . .Oh heck. You know I meant that point #1 only applies to quail.

I have coturnix, my oldest birds hatched late March of last year. I currently have 3 males and 3 females (literally all housed separately) and 5 unsexed littles (4 from the middle of June and 1 that hatched under a pheonix like 3 days ago).

1) They're racist. Or at least biased towards different, minority colors.
2) layer chicken feed crumble works just fine for females (and males in my opinion) once they're sexually mature.
3) they're surprisingly easy to process and amazing layers. Totally the perfect little bird for homesteading.
4)
20210719_105122.jpg

You /can/ hatch them out with chickens. Keep some golfballs with the clutch because they usually don't recognize them as eggs, unless you have chicken eggs under her as well at the same time.
5) Keep the door latched! If they get pur, you're likely to not get them back. I've lost dozens that way

I have accidental pet gambel quail. They live out in the patio most of the time, but we also open the door so they can wander around outside.

Things I wish I'd known:
1. How to use a heating pad hen instead of a heat lamp. My babies screamed for me all night long. I got no sleep for the first two weeks until I moved them outside. If I had a dark heat source they would have been so much happier and quiet at night.

2. How dangerous it is to be a delicious bird. I want my quail to be free, but there's so many things trying to eat them out there. I just feel better when they are safe on the patio.

3. The attachment, love, and subsequent pain and worry. It was heartbreaking when one of my babies died. I also lost sleep with all of Pedro's injuries and health problems. I had no idea how much I could love a little bird.

Outdoor coturnix quail, they are livestock but we have ended up with a few pets

1 Have spare cages, you will need some where to put bully quails and hurt quails

2 They are stupid, I know this before but I did not realise how stupid they can be

3 Get rid of any trouble makers, I did do this one and I am very happy I did

4 There can be a huge difference between different quails from different breeders

5 It is hard to find good food for them in the UK

6 quail maths, I need more cages for more quail, I also need that colour and that colour and...

Extra one because I could not narrow it down to 5

Have buttons & Gambels for pets/fun.

1. if they get out, they're gone. Even the plump little button quail can clear a 6 foot fence if startled. Invest in a long pole fishing or bug net for the runaways who bolt for cover instead of sailing into the cloudy blue and you can retrieve them. Also they shed their feathers as a defense from being grabbed [by hawks] so be careful you don't get a handful of feathers and no bird.

2. different species have different temperaments and habits so figure out what you want before you get them - buttons are super quiet and chill (domestic pets), gambels are loud and high strung (gamebirds). In the future I plan to switch to California quails because the Gambels are SO HIGH STRUNG even when hatched from eggs and raised in a brooder. Boinking and pacing is a regular occurrence for these guys even out in the 10 foot aviary.

3. Extra cages are a must. Not just for quail math but for a variety of husbandry reasons.

4. Make sure your quail are getting proper protein (and calcium for layers) levels - they have different diet needs than most chickens and have tiny beaks too.

5. Realize they only live a few years - you will need to have a plan to renew your flock if you want to keep them for an extended period of time.

Back
Top Bottom