5 week old Barred Rock Heavy Breathing with mouth open

Elvismia

Hatching
May 5, 2015
Hello out there in chicken land, I am very new to raising chicks. I have 1 Barred Rock at 5Wks 1 Brahma at 5Wks and 2 Salmon Favorelles at 2Wks.

It was 85 degrees today so I let all four play in their new coop with new organic dirt. They seemed happy and enjoyed themselves. I brought them back into their brooder for night.

My Pippa (Barred Rock) started breathing very heavy with mouth open. I am very nervous is cocci. No blood in stool. I give them electrolyte and probiotics in water.

I just added some ACV also.

She perches to sleep with her sister Brahma (Masie) and tonight she won't.
Does anyone one have any suggestions on what to do? should I race out and get colid? or continue with ACV?

Thank you,

New Nervous Chicken Mom

junebuggena

Crowing
Apr 17, 2015
Long Beach, WA
She is probably just overheated from the days activities and stressed. 85 degrees is a very warm day for a mostly feathered chick. Did they have access to water the whole time they were out?

Elvismia

Hatching
May 5, 2015
yes all day, plus there was a nice breeze and they were in the shade. Thanks for responding.

Elvismia

Hatching
May 5, 2015
Thank you for responding, yes they do get medicated food, she is doing much better this morning. I am being overly protective I guess. Sometimes the more you read on the internet panics you worse than just waiting. I love these girls, its hard not to get attached. Best to you.

Top Bottom