5 week old chicks, 43 degrees outside do they need to go back inside?

PlentifulPrairie

Songster
Mar 22, 2021
Wisconsin
Hi I've been bringing my chicks outside for they day since they reached 3.5 weeks old temps have been in the 60s and warmer since then.

The temp has dipped to 43 today (Wisconsin) with a high if 46. They are all outside and aren't huddle together. They seem okay but I don't want to hurt them.

I bring them inside my garage, and keep them in their brooder at night but with no heat plate. I've been doing this since 3.5 weeks, they were not interested in the heat.

Should they go inside or are they okay? The brooder is a bit crowded but I'd rather them be safe and a tiny bit crowded than get sick.

They will be just fine. One thing people overlook when judging how cold chicks can withstand is that they are consuming calories during the day and that helps them generate plenty of body heat. Also, at five weeks, they are well insulated against cooler temps so are far less likely to lose body heat. They aren't huddling because they are comfortable just as they are.

They will be just fine. One thing people overlook when judging how cold chicks can withstand is that they are consuming calories during the day and that helps them generate plenty of body heat. Also, at five weeks, they are well insulated against cooler temps so are far less likely to lose body heat. They aren't huddling because they are comfortable just as they are.
Thank you! I was thinking this but I just don't want to assume and I'm fairly new to this.

You can always go by their behavior to know if they're comfortable/uncomfortable with a situation. At 5 weeks, as long as they're all in good health and feathering in nicely, they should be off heat and moved out, barring an unusual circumstances.

Back
Top Bottom