5 week old chicks to the coop

dunkard_trapper

Chirping
May 8, 2010
Monongalia Co
I’m wanting to move my chicks out of the brooder to make room for some ducks. I would have waited till next week but the wife brought home some ducks yesterday so I partitioned the brooder and have the ducks in a small corner.
The chicks are 5 weeks old and have spent the last few nights with no heat lamp but now with the ducks the lamp is back on but hanging over the ducks. The weather at night will be in the 50’s with a night forecasted into low 40’s. I’m a little concerned since I sectioned off a corner in the brooder that reduced their space and may lead to stress and extra squabbling and pecking and I think getting them out in the full size coop will be beneficial.I’ve always raised chicks thru summer and have never dealt with moving them out in the fall.

Are they going into their own coop or will they be with other chickens?
Do you have electric in your coop?
Photos?

At 5 wks they *should* be feathered out enough and be o.k. in those temps as long as they have bedding to hunker down in and they are protected from wind/elements. If you have electric in your coop, you could provide them with a heating pad, that may give you some peace of mind.

Thanks for the reply. This is a brand new coop without any current residents. They are pretty much feathered out completely. There’s not any electric. There’s 26 chicks so I’m thinking that will help if they get cold they can bunch up.

A2979095-BB53-4B18-B431-B962E151B95A.jpeg
440A4B85-8388-40C5-AD9C-CB8297D568DF.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom