5 week old Maran-pullet or cockerel or too early still?

Hi y’all! Yes I have updated pics as we are now 11 weeks old 🙌🏼 Unless she is a hella late developing cockerel, I’m going to say she is still a she. She is definitely the boss of the 3, and has a lot to honk about now that their voices are changing from their chick peeps, haha. I’ll get better pictures tomorrow of her as it’s dark now but here she is and then pics of her flock mates for comparison. My other rooster I had in my first flock had a HUGE red comb and waddles by this point so fingers crossed we are
IMG_5860.jpeg
still on the hen track here. She has a comb and waddles but they are still pink
IMG_5912.jpeg

IMG_5911.jpeg

Can I see what your cream legbar pullet looks like? I have some around the same age now and want to compare!!
Here is my Cream Legbar right now. She is 11 weeks old and is the friendliest of the bunch. She likes to perch on my arm and chirp with me 😆 Please ignore my sad, grassless backyard as the chickens have turned it into an outfield 🫠
IMG_5717.jpeg

Hi y’all! Yes I have updated pics as we are now 11 weeks old 🙌🏼 Unless she is a hella late developing cockerel, I’m going to say she is still a she. She is definitely the boss of the 3, and has a lot to honk about now that their voices are changing from their chick peeps, haha. I’ll get better pictures tomorrow of her as it’s dark now but here she is and then pics of her flock mates for comparison. My other rooster I had in my first flock had a HUGE red comb and waddles by this point so fingers crossed we are View attachment 3527165still on the hen track here. She has a comb and waddles but they are still pink View attachment 3527164

View attachment 3527161
Looks like a slow developing boy. The shiney feathers coming in on it's neck look like roo feathers to me.

Looks like a slow developing boy. The shiney feathers coming in on it's neck look like roo feathers to me.
Oh no really?? How late can they develop? It’s about 3 months now and I don’t see any saddle feathers forming.
X2 definitely cockerel hackles and definitely slow developing.
Y’all 😭 I am legit heartbroken about this if it’s a super late cockerel. How late can they develop?

Oh no really?? How late can they develop? It’s about 3 months now and I don’t see any saddle feathers forming.

Y’all 😭 I am legit heartbroken about this if it’s a super late cockerel. How late can they develop?
I'm sorry 😞

Sometimes pretty late. But a chicken "sexually matures" in most breeds at around 16 weeks.

We could also be wrong. 😉

I'm sorry 😞

Sometimes pretty late. But a chicken "sexually matures" in most breeds at around 16 weeks.

We could also be wrong. 😉
Ok. I’ll keep an Eagle eye on this one. So far just the copper has shown up in the neck this week. I was reading that as a chick, the Copper Marans cockerels will have copper show up on the shoulders (and sometimes wing tips). Fingers crossed 🤞🏼

Here is my Cream Legbar right now. She is 11 weeks old and is the friendliest of the bunch. She likes to perch on my arm and chirp with me 😆 Please ignore my sad, grassless backyard as the chickens have turned it into an outfield 🫠View attachment 3527176
Ok ok cute!! Looking like one of mine so far, this one is about 9 weeks and im thinking pullet

Attachments

• 20230531_095729.jpg
    20230531_095729.jpg
    423.8 KB · Views: 9
That BCM still looks like a girl to me. I've raised 6 or 7 of them and had one cockerel of that breed. He was a REALLY obvious boy by 8 or 9 weeks. The females always make me wonder with the early comb growth. I have a 6 week old that I go back and forth on every day right now. I'd actually kind of like mine to be a rooster this time, but it's probably a pullet.

Back
Top Bottom