5 week old Orpington, Pullet or Cockerel?

I’ve never gotten so many replies on a thread before. It’s sad I can’t rust that this person is serious or is in anyway wanting to help anyone learn at all.

All it takes is a few people who cannot agree, and the thread starts to get lots of replies :lol:

I'll be curious to know what gender your chick turns out to be, in a few weeks or months when it's obvious. At that point, we'll at least know the truth about that particular chick's gender!

And for the record: I've seen male chicks with shorter tails, and female chicks with shorter tails, and both genders with matching tail lengths (short or long). Different breeds, fast or slow feathering (either can occur in either gender), and various other factors can all affect it. So I ignore tail length when guessing chicken gender, except for mature longtail males where it is several feet long and dragging on the ground. For those, I do grant that "long tail" is proof of gender.

All it takes is a few people who cannot agree, and the thread starts to get lots of replies :lol:

I'll be curious to know what gender your chick turns out to be, in a few weeks or months when it's obvious. At that point, we'll at least know the truth about that particular chick's gender!

And for the record: I've seen male chicks with shorter tails, and female chicks with shorter tails, and both genders with matching tail lengths (short or long). Different breeds, fast or slow feathering (either can occur in either gender), and various other factors can all affect it. So I ignore tail length when guessing chicken gender, except for mature longtail males where it is several feet long and dragging on the ground. For those, I do grant that "long tail" is proof of gender.
X2, I will say ‘look at that tail!‘ if it looks like this or something.
BAEFA028-7FAD-4003-A999-0C9AFD8CE30A.jpeg

THATS WHAT SAID It works on standard breed pleae read it agian :)

Female have longer tails rember that specifically STANDARD BREED LIKE BUFF

"Standard breed" usually means "not bantam."

Feather sexing can work on standard sized chickens or on bantam sized chickens, but only on SOME chickens in each size group.

Feather sexing is controlled by sex-linked genes, just like gold/silver sexlinks and barred/solid ("black") sexlinks.

You can have a breed where all chickens are barred (Barred Rock) and a breed where no chickens are barred (Rhode Island Red), but if you cross them properly, you get barred cockerels and not-barred pullets. Barring does not always mean a chicken is male, but with this particular cross it does.

Same for feather sexing. You can have a strain of chickens where males and females are both slow-feathering, and another strain where both genders are fast-feathering. When you cross a fast-feathering rooster with slow-feathering hens, you get fast-feathering daughters and slow-feathering sons. (Notice, the sons are slow feathering but their mothers--who are female--were also slow feathering.)

Also, do you natively speak a language other than English? Or do you just have trouble with spelling? Your posts are difficult to read because many words are spelled wrong.

Back
Top Bottom