5 week old Runner with a limp, sort of

igorsMistress

Labels create division.
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Apr 9, 2013
My Coop
My Coop
Hi all. One of my Runners seems to have an issue. She sort of limps when she’s walking, and when she’s standing still that foot sort of turns in a tiny bit like she’s slightly pigeon toed. She has no trouble running though and swims just fine. I have examined her foot and leg and can’t find anything unusual. They have thick, soft bedding in their house and yard. This isn’t anything new, I noticed in quite a while ago and thought maybe she’d grow out of it once she was more coordinated.

I’ve been free feeding Purina duck pellets for all life stages since they arrived and have given them peas and/or greens every few days for the last couple weeks. No other treats. No scratch grains or anything.

My only experience with fowl is chickens, but I’m assuming I’d check for hot or cold spots, pain responses when I move the leg and foot, obviously broken bones, etc just like in a chicken right?

I’m not sure where to go with it next. I did purchase some nutritional yeast to put in some wet feed once in a while, would the B vitamins help?

Im not sure but if this is any help Moca "drakezilla at mating time" had allot of problems they started when he was 2 weeks lasted to 2 months. I used epson salt soaks (5 gallon Bucket with about 4 inches of water enough to stand in but not swim. Then lots of Battub warm water time to strenghtin runner duck have very fragile legs especial when they are young. I feed Purina duck food also not flock raiser. but hopefully someone jumps in with some better advice.

Im not sure but if this is any help Moca "drakezilla at mating time" had allot of problems they started when he was 2 weeks lasted to 2 months. I used epson salt soaks (5 gallon Bucket with about 4 inches of water enough to stand in but not swim. Then lots of Battub warm water time to strenghtin runner duck have very fragile legs especial when they are young. I feed Purina duck food also not flock raiser. but hopefully someone jumps in with some better advice.
Thank you, the soaks definitely wouldn’t hurt! We are working on moving them to a new house. They are in my chicken coop that has an entrance about 8 inches high both inside and out; the mini coop has a ground level entrance which will be better for them.

Would it be possible if you post a video of the duck trying to walk around, so we can gauge the severity of the foot angulation, as well as the limp?
Yes, I can try to get a video of her. The limp is almost imperceptible really, I’ve noticed more the pigeon toed thing when she’s standing. I will get out there shortly, thanks for your reply!

Here’s a video. The duck to the far left that is the last to walk in front of the camera is the one I’m concerned about.

Here’s a video. The duck to the far left that is the last to walk in front of the camera is the one I’m concerned about.

I believe some of what you're seeing may be correlated with their age, and the fact that they're growing extremely fast. Just like a child, they can sometimes be a little funky on their feet. I would find it odd if the very slight inward angulation of her foot is associated with niacin problems as Runner ducks don't generally suffer from niacin problems. Adding nutritional yeast to her feed as you have should suffice if it is niacin related.

They sure are cute ducklings!
I'm no expert but you may want to pick up some vitamin B Complex (they sell it at Tractor Supply).
We've had issues with a few of our ducks around that age. They grow so fast it's hard for their little legs to keep up.
We've used it a few times and cleared up any walking issues.
- I should specify, we give it orally. On treats or in their drinking water.

Back
Top Bottom