5 week olds and tornado sirens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by IndylawPaul, Apr 22, 2011.

1. IndylawPaul

IndylawPaul Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    So I took my 5 week olds outside for their morning constitutional; a 30min scratch, flap and prove-your-the-boss fest in the backyard. Some time out of the brooders is good for them and will get them in the free ranging spirit. But I forget they test our tornado sirens on friday, and one is about a half a block from my house. For those not in Tornado Alley, those things are rock concert loud and start with no warning. Turns out all my chicks can get out of my yard by running between picket fence panels, and I'm chasing 5 frightened pullets down my driveway.

2. hennypenny99

hennypenny99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Hugo, Ok
    LOL! Oh no, I hope you caught them!

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Yikes! Those poor chicks! Probably thought a dinosaur had arrived to eat them!

4. Lifesong Farm

Lifesong Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    Noble County
    I am sorry I shouldn't laugh but the picture I have in my head is so funny. [​IMG]

Hope you caught them all. You might want to make a note about putting up chicken wire around the bottom of your fence till they get older. Lol

5. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

My baby chicks spent their first two weeks in my kitchen. I still remember the chaos that was caused by each new sound, like the timer going off on the microwave and the first strong thunderstorm. None of those sounds are close to a tornado siren! Those poor chicks! Poor you trying to round them up! [​IMG]

6. cbrown86

cbrown86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Missouri
    [​IMG] Poor chicks! I feel you about tornado alley! My chicks and ducks hate airplanes and jets. We live about a mile from an airport and every time one flies overhead, they all freeze and cock their heads sideways until it is gone. Cracks me up. [​IMG]

7. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I live in Kansas I understand the noise my poor hens still freeze when they sound. I had to laugh at the picture your story painted. I hope you and the chicks are all okay and you caught them without to much trouble.

8. IndylawPaul

Mar 18, 2011
    They are all fine, and in retrospect it was very funny. But at the time it was all curse words and panicked herding.

The key is to flank them [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  9. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    so what do you do in a tornado? do you have a plan for the chickens? just wondering (and very glad to have snow over tornados)

10. IndylawPaul

Mar 18, 2011
    The chances of them dying in a tornado are slim, my dogs are a much more real concern. But I plan to put them in a dog crate in my basement for the 1-2 really severe storms we have a year. Indiana weather doesn't play around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by