5 weeks silver laced wyandottes - slow feathering indicates possibly roos to be?

I would love an update!
There you go ...

Here is them free ranging on the farm:

IMG-4240.jpg

Those birds are pretty smart - in a few weeks after my cockerels had first seen sorghum, they learnt to peel the skin to get the grain inside. They have also found a way to hunt for the worms in the sweet potato field - by looking out for yellow leaves with holes, then turn those leaves upside down. I have raised them from day old, there was no way that they could have learned such techniques from old chickens. They also learn from each other, like one bird knows how to do certain thing, they all know how to do it after a while.

Based on my pullets at that age, I think they're pullets. But their lacing pattern is much more vibrant than either of my girls' at that age.
Since these birds came from a breeder, they are going to (hopefully) have much better lacing, and with better lacing comes slower feathering.

I wouldn't want someone to compare their lacing, or slow feathering, and believe that's necessarily what all males look like as they develop. Hatchery or pet quality SLWs are not going to have that pretty of lacing right off the bat, and will also feather in faster, whether or not they turn out to be male or female.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom