5 year old Rooster weak on legs possible mites?

Casper417

Songster
6 Years
Aug 30, 2014
Staffordshire
Hi everyone,
I have a 5 year old silkie rooster he's been acting not quite himself for about a week, i searched him for mites but can't seem to see anything. We've had mites in the past that affected the chickens in the same way so i have been treating him with dust and xeno450 spot on. (The xeno has worked well in the past). I added some garlic extract (for pigeons) to the water as this usually helps to get rid of them.
But as he seems to be getting weaker ive brought some battles poultry drink to help if he's got anemia. Ive also given him abit of grated carrot for extra iron and vitamins.
He not over grooming and scratching. Ive looked over him but i cant seem to see any mites (in the past i could see the mites moving).
He is eating and drinking but i would say he feels lighter than usual. His poo is normal and can't see worms or anything in it.
Could it be a different mite or could there be another problem?
Is there anthing else i can give him to try and get him stronger again.

Many Thanks.
Gemma.

What breed of rooster is he?
Where did you get him?
What do you normally feed him?
It's possible that if he does have mites that Ivermectin is no longer effective. Permethrin is still reputed to be effective for mites.
Can you get a fecal float done?

He's a silkie. I hatched him out. They are fed mixed corn and also have treats like cooked rice/pasta. Canned cat meat. Carrot.

Ive treated the pen with "nettex total mite kill" ive got another spray i could try too. But how do i get the chickens health back quick? Is there any extra foods i can give him to help.

When was the last time you dewormed him? He has worms almost guaranteed. Deworm him now with a broad spectrum dewormer and dont delay because he could die. You cant see most types of worms and definitely you cant see capillary worms. Get a fecal check at the vet if you want but whether you do that or not deworm with a broad spectrum dewormer like safeguard. Do the whole flock too whether they act sick or not. Worms kill. Hurry! Good luck

Ive been to the shop and brought verm x pallets, that covers all worms.
I also brought a power to go on the food that helps to keep their systems healthy and hes got the poultry drink with lots of extra minerals and vitamins and things in. Hopefully he will feel better soon

Ive been to the shop and brought verm x pallets, that covers all worms.
I also brought a power to go on the food that helps to keep their systems healthy and hes got the poultry drink with lots of extra minerals and vitamins and things in. Hopefully he will feel better soon
I'm not famiiiar with VermX, I haven't seen that in the US, but I think I have seen it on line. We use Levamisol, but you do have to order it on line. Safeguard is what people commonly buy locally, you can get it from a vet, or the kind for goats in a feed store. yes vitamins are a good idea too. Good luck! As long as he's eating and drinking, he's not too far gone, and hopefully he'll recover.

Yes he's still eating and drinking just abit weak on his legs and generally sad and quiet in himself.
The VermX is in pallet form so i put some in scrabbled egg and he eat is very well so hopefully should see some change soon.

Ive just been out to shut them in for the night and he was shaking his head sometimes but he wasnt picking through his feathers. So could he have red mites or something near the ears? He's not irritated by anything in the day no extra scratching or picking through his feathers. It's just a bit of shaking the head near night time.

Back
Top Bottom