50/50?! I don't think so...

hurricanearran

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 20, 2010
Denny Island, BC
Excuse if this has already been dicussed.

We have 4 dozen chickens which were bought as day olds (and a little older... 10 days). Looking at the odds for the breed, one in 8-12 will be roosters.
The sellers said they just sold as a straight run as they didnt' know how to sex but now as things are unfolding, almost 1/2 appear to be roosters...
What are the odds or did we get dupped? Or is it too early to tell... they are only 2 months old now?

My experience with straight run has generally been about 50/50 - keeping in mind that is calculating based on 100 chicks hatched from a breeding pen. When you work with smaller numbers, percentages can go up or down.

1 out of 8-12? Where'd you get that number from?

Chickens' gender isn't determined by temperature like many reptiles' eggs are atleast I think its been proven that they aren't - they should usually come out somewhere in the 50% range. Sometimes you will get more or less of either sex - its a literal luck of the draw.

Also I think its something similar to humans - it depends more on the Roo what your going to get more of - male or female. *shrugs* but out of 100 chickens your looking at 40-60% being roo on average unless you know how to sex chicks.
wink.png

For the record, I never thought those odds made any sense?
Also for the record, despite our ignorance on that subject, we have 48 unbelievably happy and healthy birds. That is 24 feisty, featherly roosters and 24 lovely, lady hens
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom