50/50?! I don't think so...

St. run are actually the sexed chicks that weren't sold. What they do is sell the male and female orders first and whatever's left is st. run. So st. run is mostly roos.

Quote:
Really? Neat - I didn't know that. - lol. I didn't know - but like I said 'i guess' - I guessed wrong.
tongue.png
anyway thinks for a new piece of info Sonoran.

Quote:
Straight run is how they hatch out of the eggs without any sexing being done on them. Are there hatcheries that aren't honest and don't do it that way?....maybe, but years ago when I would order straight run I generally got about 50/50 on the chicks I ordered.

Last edited:
I picked ten chicks out of a stright run banty bin, 9 where roos! the only hen was a black star that probably jumped from the pullet bin above:rolleyes: as I don't think there are 12 pound bantys... she is bigger then my standred bramas.

I must know how to pick them! Some people think people who are good at sexing them get first dibs and leave a bunch of Roo chicks in the bin at the store.. could be true, I know I pick out roo's 99% of the time! unlucky for me.

I wonder if maybe they keep the female chicks they don't sell from breeding stock at the hatcheries and give a deal to the stores.. lol

I can sex 1-2 day old chicks with fairly decent accuracy - maybe 75% on standard size chicks - can't on bantys they are just too tiny. But yes when I've bought layers from a feed store - I was there first thing in the AM and bought 10 EE's for me picked what I figured was atleast sure 6 females and 1 male and 3 unsures that were just unique looking that I didn't care what they'd be- lol I got 8 females and 2 males out of the bunch now at 3.5 months old. lol So I know I did relatively well on picking them out considering. lol. My neighbor got 20 RIR and BR's from the same feed store and just got one of the guys there to scoop him up what he wanted he's got out of 20 8 hens and 12 roos - so in that 40-60% percentile on a single sex.

I suggest anyone who wants pullets and cant have roos (say those in suburbs and city limits) to just go in co-op with someone and get sexed chicks from a hatchery or buy a order yourself and sell your surplus babies when you get them. I know many people who do this - and much prefer it to wasting money and chance and getting attached to friendly cute roos they have to get rid of for ordinances or just ratio perspective.

If you are just buying chicks from a straight run bin, you have to consider the person before you may have been able to tell the pullets from the cockerels. I usually can.

So if there were 100 chicks in the bin (50 girls and 50 boys) then your chances are 50/50. But if I was there before you, and I took home 20 female chicks, then you have 50 boys and 30 girls to pick from. The 50/50 rule no longer applies.

Keep in mind that statistics often ignore environmental factors--that is to say, the human element.

Quote:
And hten htere are the birds who get put back in the wrong bin by a child who thought they would be fun to hold, then mommy called and they put them in hte closest bin, not the one they belonged in.

Quote:
Really? Neat - I didn't know that. - lol. I didn't know - but like I said 'i guess' - I guessed wrong.
tongue.png
anyway thinks for a new piece of info Sonoran.

Yep, that's what I thought too. My hens tend to throw more pullets than roo's. (MY Aussie's) I hatched 13 the first time and 2 of those were roo's. I hatched 10 more and it looks like 2 of those are roo's. Not sure on my youngest yet. But, I am getting more pullets than roo's.

But, I go by a rule of 50/50 which is suppose to be the norm.

Back
Top Bottom