50 Chicks started from birth to 3 months all dead

yonkey

In the Brooder
Aug 30, 2015
I bought 1 day old chicks from mcmurray hatchery all sorts best for egg laying. Over the months slowly watch a lot start to die off from sicknesses I never was able to diagnose. Then some started to disappear slowly some days would go outside and see dead bodies all over the field different predators and dogs. Work twelve hour days doesn't help. Keeping chickens isnt as simple as feeding watering and having them in a pin. So when you start your flock remember its not easy. If your a first timer don't just jump into it. I learned my lesson and won't try chickens again. Do not cut corner when building a coop. I'm sitting here looking at a empty coup thinking of what could have been and all my time and money down the drain not to mention the emotional loss you grow attached to some. Let me serve as a warning

yJ_5JLw6_6A

I bought 1 day old chicks from mcmurray hatchery all sorts best for egg laying. Over the months slowly watch a lot start to die off from sicknesses I never was able to diagnose. Then some started to disappear slowly some days would go outside and see dead bodies all over the field different predators and dogs. Work twelve hour days doesn't help. Keeping chickens isnt as simple as feeding watering and having them in a pin. So when you start your flock remember its not easy. If your a first timer don't just jump into it. I learned my lesson and won't try chickens again. Do not cut corner when building a coop. I'm sitting here looking at a empty coup thinking of what could have been and all my time and money down the drain not to mention the emotional loss you grow attached to some. Let me serve as a warning

Keeping chickens is so much more than feeding and watering. I'm so sorry you experienced such an awful situation, especially since it was your first try. Chickens are really quite fragile and vulnerable to all sorts of predators, diseases and environmental stressors. They are great fun though. I love my girls and they give me lots of entertainment. What you experienced is not the norm, I think. Maybe after a while you'll reconsider and try it again. Maybe with fewer birds, which will be a lot easier to manage. Maybe build them a secure run and tighten up the coop. All the best.

welcome-byc.gif

So sorry for your loss!
hugs.gif

I, like SilieNation, love my birds. I can't stress how important it is to have a secure coop, and not to let them free range if you are not there if you have a large property that is not fenced in. Small chicks need to stay in a coop/run area for quite a while. 2 months at least...and that's for me. Everyone does it different, according to their circumstances. Good luck if you decide to try again. To me, they are an easy animal to care for. Again, that's me and my situation. Yes, I've had some problems here and there through the yrs. but not many bad, and sad ones.

Welcome to BYC (I wish it was under better circumstances)

It's really important to research any animal before making the decision to raise them. If at some point you think you might like to give chickens another try, check out the Learning Center to help you get off to a good start:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

And now that you are a member here, you can ask questions to get help when you need it. Members here are very supportive and help each other out.

I'm sorry for your losses and let us know if you need help starting over.

I am so very sorry for your loss. We once lost our entire flock due to miscommunication about closing the door on the coop. we were devastated so I understand your pain. If you ever decide to start up again, I am more than happy to donate some fertile eggs or chicks. That is house we started again. People were very kind and generous and we triple check windows and doors to the coop. Unfortunately, we have had a couple of fox that won't go away and we haven't been able to catch him so our chickens cannot free range. Again, I am very sorry for your loss.

I am so very sorry for your loss. We once lost our entire flock due to miscommunication about closing the door on the coop. we were devastated so I understand your pain. If you ever decide to start up again, I am more than happy to donate some fertile eggs or chicks. That is house we started again. People were very kind and generous and we triple check windows and doors to the coop. Unfortunately, we have had a couple of fox that won't go away and we haven't been able to catch him so our chickens cannot free range. Again, I am very sorry for your loss.

That's a very generous offer. A hello and welcome to you too!

Back
Top Bottom