5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

I am amazed that the English have not even slowed down......Right now I have Buff, English and Serama.
English are BBS...........
Orpingtons are Winter layers--They will keep laying without lights in the winter.

Pullets of most breeds will continue laying the first winter if they started laying in late Summer\early fall.

Do you have pictures you could share?

I have a few when they were younger.
The Blue 5 months.
The black 12 weeks..
The chick on the left of the third pic a few days. A RR next to it

I have a few when they were younger.
The Blue 5 months.
The black 12 weeks..
The chick on the left of the third pic a few days. A RR next to it

Thank you for the pictures!

They look very nice. I really like the Blue Orpington.

I have a few when they were younger. The Blue 5 months. The black 12 weeks.. The chick on the left of the third pic a few days. A RR next to it
Very nice! I have a soft spot for Orpingtons, especially the blues. We were given our first blue as a surprise extra for the NYD hatch, 2012, it's been true love ever since. I need to say, though....I've never had an Orpington lay in the winter for me....ever. :oops:

Very nice! I have a soft spot for Orpingtons, especially the blues. We were given our first blue as a surprise extra for the NYD hatch, 2012, it's been true love ever since. I need to say, though....I've never had an Orpington lay in the winter for me....ever.
hide.gif

Maybe there is a difference between English Orps and American.

Hendersons chicken chart has a snow flake for Orpingtons, which indicates winter layers.

[COLOR=0000FF]Very nice! I have a soft spot for Orpingtons, especially the blues. We were given our first blue as a surprise extra for the NYD hatch, 2012, it's been true love ever since. I need to say, though....I've never had an Orpington lay in the winter for me....ever. :oops: [/COLOR]

Maybe there is a difference between English Orps and American.

Hendersons chicken chart has a snow flake for Orpingtons, which indicates winter layers.

[ATTACHMENT=563]hendersonschickenchart.pdf (699k. pdf file)[/ATTACHMENT]

I have both imports and SOP Orps. :idunno My guess here is, if they are supposed to lay through the winter -which I wouldn't doubt as they are very well insulated with all their fluff. Then mine must not lay for some other reason....like

lack of light (I don't supply additional light in the winter- but this doesn't effect my other layers, Marans, leghorns, OEs)

Worms - they've all just been wormed, so we shall see!

Mites or Lice - haven't seen any, and again, just treated.

Bad luck? Although this doesn't really apply to me, being Irish n all. :D

I added Wyandottes to my flock last year to have some winter eggs, they just started laying, so we will see if they make it through the winter for me.

Here's my favorite Blue…she is 6 months old, her name is 'Queen Bee' She thinks she's the Boss, takes over any scratch or feeder and often wanders into other coops and beds down for the night, cause she can.

Last edited:
Here's my favorite Blue…she is 6 months old, her name is 'Queen Bee' She thinks she's the Boss, takes over any scratch or feeder and often wanders into other coops and beds down for the night, cause she can.

Who cares if they lay eggs in the winter? Gorgeous
love.gif

[COLOR=0000FF]Here's my favorite Blue…she is 6 months old, her name is 'Queen Bee' She thinks she's the Boss, takes over any scratch or feeder and often wanders into other coops and beds down for the night, cause she can.[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000FF] [/COLOR]
Who cares if they lay eggs in the winter? Gorgeous :love
Thank You! My sentiments exactly! Mstricer, no yucky eggs for me...I use this time to patronize the local egg farmers, I need to do so anyway for the next 3 weeks as we are worming.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom