5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

Wow! Stuff is happening for you all! I'm so happy for you that have gotten chicks, pips, peeping noises. There are going to be some fun little chicken photos soon, I hope!
Gerbils..that's too cute..your egg went spoiled and fuzzy?
lol.png
Cute little baby!

To everyone that has babies, or has pips..chicks soon to come.
jumpy.gif
D.gif

I have a baby!! Oh my gosh! What is this thing! Blue skin, blond hair, looks like maybe a naked neck?
It's a cute little thing. It probably isn't a naked neck. When they fluff out, the skin will all be covered, and it will be cute and fluffy like a baby chick. Looks to be a blue. Very pretty color of blue.

Hmm, took another look, if it has blue skin, it could be a silkie..but I think that I am seeing some extra neck skin..you may have a Show Girl! The beak looks like a silkies or a Show Girls..will you post a photo of her when she dries? I love Show Girls!

Last edited:
It's 7:40 PM here now, and my eggs are also still being boring. The last batch of eggs from my RIR that I tried to hatch only hatched on day 23... Today is day 20 for me (or day 20 ended at 14:00 since I set eggs on the 11th at 14:00). Let's hope my eggies don't wait until day 23 again.

That's what I thought, but this person who claimed great success seemed very offended when I said I'd had no luck so far hatching eggs wrapped that way. Maybe the success was in collecting money for something turned worthless by packaging. Don't know.

The Doms were wrapped in paper towel, placed in 1/2 cartons, and the 1/2 cartons were each wrapped with big-bubble bubble wrap, so there was cushion outside the carton but I still don't see how the egg and its air cell can be protected that way. Almost all visible air cells had detached.

Yesterday I received eggs placed in a box with the bottom cushioned with a thick pad of bubble wrap, and bubble wrap on all four sides, eggs were individually wrapped in 3-4 wraps of what looks like pipe insulation, set upright in the box, filled in with packing peanuts, and then topped with another layer of bubble wrap. This is the first time I've gotten eggs wrapped that way, and honestly they were in good shape. 1 was cracked vertically, all the others look perfect, did not detect any detached air cells. I let them rest overnight and set this morning. We shall see!

A lot of Breeders get that way. It is a amazing to hear them--It is a business and if they were able to get eggs to folks in better shape, they would have more business.

The shipment you just received will hatch much better.

Back
Top Bottom