5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

I have a BABY!!!!
At 8:00 p.m. on the nose, two eggs started zipping. Couldn't tear myself away to update ya'll! At 8:36 p.m., my first fluffy butt made it out! I HAVE A NEW YEAR'S BABY!!
wee.gif

I am seriously freaking out about my humidity...it spiked to 81%, so I opened the bator for a few seconds, it dropped down to 77, and then back up to 79. All plugs are out, what should I do??? I have three others that are pipped, one partially zipped...help!!

Here's pics of the baby (Barred Rock over either Barred Rock or Commercial Black (Hatchery BR cross):

I have seen answers that were good--Make sure there is plenty of fresh air in the room and lave it alone. It will be fine.
Finally I can hear tapping. They were due last night and still nothing so I had to check. 6 made it to lock down. 1 tapping,3 moving, 1 ??? an 1 quitter. I was ready to give up.
fl.gif
I hope they hatch!

The partridge silkie hatched, and we now have 7 in the brooder, and 2 in the incubator. I have 2 remaining pips, a WLH, and another partridge silkie. I hope to get another 6 to hatch to at least get 50% from the 29 that I started with on the 11th.
We did lock down 21 good and 2 possible, so if these last 2 come through we are at 50%.
smilies-3434.png

<sigh> I just lost the last one.
sad.png
I don't know if I didn't help it soon enough or if it was just always going to die no matter what I did. It was fully formed, yolk completely absorbed. I've been reading all I can find on causes of mortality in the shell on the last day. It would seem that some sort of nutritional deficiency is the most likely culprit. I did notice that the shells on these eggs were really super thin and brittle. So maybe that was a clue.
Nutrition is important. There could have been a bacteria too.

Worse than waiting for pips and zips, is watching one not making any progress and then start labored breathing, still with no attempt to break out even though
fingernail has all but opened the egg for them. I have to concentrate on the six that ARE here; believe that the eggs in the incubator are at the stage these were last night
and will be a Great "Surprise" upon waking.

I put the eggs I had put in brooder back in the 'hatcher' - bator, humidity is higher and temperature constant as it has a forced air fan. Melancholia, over the suspected deaths.
Probably just a reflection of the weather, its been raining all day, and cold (for FL) just a dreary day with the Best thing is little fuzz buts.
2 silky, 4 Dorking? I'm just not sure anymore. Color of RIR, but shorter legs and one 'chipmunk' coated baby --- The first of my clutch to break free from confines
thumbsup.gif

Have to get some sleep, better perspective with the morning. Night All, Sweet dreams. Happy New Year
cool.png

So Ron, you like Silkies too?

smilies-3434.png

Your have very nice Silkies!
Out of 31 in lock down.....

8 hatched
8 pipped

Now the problem I am having is that two of them are stuck by the umbilical cord to the shell. Do I snip these off or what do I do?

Try not to snip them. It is better to let them fall off on their own.

ok.....had trouble getting pics on but here are 3 chicks from the 12+bcm eggs I bought off ebay

smilies-3434.png

Marans are so cute!
yeah right now 8/12! And one still might pip. I'm very pleased considering i wanted four more chickens lol. so I'll at least get 4 hens if it's 50/50 lol
smilies-3434.png

I hope you get 4 pullets!

I'm not the only one in our house keeping watch on the incubator! We have 10 cats and none of them have ever did anything to harm a chick or chicken.

barnie.gif
an Urban Predator!

Make sure the cat does not block the air vents.
Trader joes egg hatched, the other one is zipping! Nothing on the 3rd, so far.
smilies-3434.png

I need to hatch more of those!

Back
Top Bottom