5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

So I need you all's opinions....

im looking into buying chickens.....a Sicilian Buttercup and 2 Red Laced Wyandottes.....bot GORGEOUS birds! I love them!

she was asking 40 for the SB and 35 for the rd. laced....if I got 2 birds I could pay 60, if I got all 3, 80. is this a reasonable price?

thanks guys!!!!

I have never bought full grown chickens....especially at this price.....that's why I was asking
big_smile.png
Here's my opinion. It costs a lot to raise birds these days in feed alone, so I don't say a bird isn't worth what someone is asking because they have so much in feed alone. That doesn't account for their labor and breeding expertise.
I can't understand how someone can sell a POL pullet on craigslist for $10. It costs me more than that to raise them.
On the other hand, do you need them? If you want to be a show person, you should concentrate on one or two breeds. Other breeds will need separate housing much of the time.
I love having lots of breeds and varieties. I've had as many as 25 or more at a time. It wasn't prudent though. I didn't have the space or housing to do good breeding so I sold a lot and let the rest diminish via attrition.
One has to decide if they want to be a breeder (or show person) and focus on a few breeds or better yet on one. You can have a flock of various breeds but that shouldn't be your focus unless you just want to have pets that produce eggs and meat with pretty birds.

Last edited:
Here's my opinion. It costs a lot to raise birds these days in feed alone, so I don't say a bird isn't worth what someone is asking because they have so much in feed alone. That doesn't account for their labor and breeding expertise.
I can't understand how someone can sell a POL pullet on craigslist for $10. It costs me more than that to raise them.
On the other hand, do you need them? If you want to be a show person, you should concentrate on one or two breeds. Other breeds will need separate housing much of the time.
I love having lots of breeds and varieties. I've had as many as 25 or more at a time. It wasn't prudent though. I didn't have the space or housing to do good breeding so I sold a lot and let the rest diminish via attrition.
One has to decide if they want to be a breeder (or show person) and focus on a few breeds or better yet on one. You can have a flock of various breeds but that shouldn't be your focus unless you just want to have pets that produce eggs and meat with pretty birds.

AWESOME! very helpful! thanks! I was just planning on using them for eggs.....maybe the buttercup for showing if I got her.

the way you described it, the pricing is reasonable.

thank you!

Last edited:

I figured I would share an idea for some nest boxes for one of my pens. I used soft drink totes(carriers) to use as nest boxes. Usually they are free at convenient stores or grocery store. Just ask for some. Anyways I screwed them down to a piece of wood and put hay in there. They use them as normal . I am going to build the boxes In a box on outside with a lid like my other pen but this one I am going to use these and put a divider between them. They hold the hay in nicely and if they happen to get wet it goes right through. Best part is they are recycled. Just thought I would share.:)

I'm 419 posts behind, life happened & I totally missed the cute fluffy phase for pictures, but here today at 1month

The still un-named, cl pullet hatched from the shipped eggs (she was kinda frightened so not standing tall for the camera)
you can see her little mohawk and the salmon feathers comming in on her breast :) so far so good...

So I need you all's opinions....

im looking into buying chickens.....a Sicilian Buttercup and 2 Red Laced Wyandottes.....bot GORGEOUS birds! I love them!

she was asking 40 for the SB and 35 for the rd. laced....if I got 2 birds I could pay 60, if I got all 3, 80. is this a reasonable price?

thanks guys!!!!

I have never bought full grown chickens....especially at this price.....that's why I was asking:D

I love having lots of breeds and varieties. I've had as many as 25 or more at a time. It wasn't prudent though. I didn't have the space or housing to do good breeding so I sold a lot and let the rest diminish via attrition.
One has to decide if they want to be a breeder (or show person) and focus on a few breeds or better yet on one. You can have a flock of various breeds but that shouldn't be your focus unless you just want to have pets that produce eggs and meat with pretty birds.

AWESOME! very helpful! thanks! I was just planning on using them for eggs.....maybe the buttercup for showing if I got her.

the way you described it, the pricing is reasonable.

thank you!

This all depends entirely on what you want them for & your budget. Personally, I would never pay that much for a layer to toss in my pen when I can get layers anywhere for a few bucks. Breeders & showbirds are a different story. I have paid that & more for good breeder stock. I don't show but have raised birds that were high enough quality to be shown. They are not cheap. What you really need to look at is your ultimate goal for these birds & just how much money you are willing to put out to reach that goal.

:yiipchick Nice looking!

I think you have picked them correctly for Gender

It is great that you put them to work turning compost!

:eek:  

My girls love their compost turning job! You would be surprised how much of it they eat. It's mostly waste hay from the goats and kitchen scraps. But they eat so much of the hay. I keep them locked up in the am long enough for them to fill up on crumbles before gorging themselves on compost lol

Hawkes 4 week old pictures!! Her little flock buddies are 2 weeks younger, but looking at the buff orp chick you couldn't tell! LOL The last pic- their new 'trick' Momma isn't thrilled. The brooder has a lid now.

Back
Top Bottom