5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

Who else is hatching marans?
I plan to add them to my flock. But not this time around. Soon though!

What kind of incubator is everyone using, just for interest's sake?

I have an LG. Generally do very well with unshipped eggs (90-100%), terrible with shipped eggs (0 to 25%).
I will be using my homemade incubator. This will be my third hatch in it (or in anything ever for that matter.) The first was a test hatch with eggs gathered from my own hens. The second is duckies that are due right after Thanksgiving. Then it'll be a good cleaning and ready for NYD babies!
yesss.gif

Me too! I have always wanted a mottled silkie (not sure if those exist in a purebred chickens). but cochins are the next best thing :))

Love the mottled..here is one of mine from the past.

She could have had more on the back, but she was a sweetheart. Cochins generally are. :)

Thank you her name is Tilley I got her from cackle. 3 months ago. She is my baby

I was also noticing your baby. I had a white one too..in the past. I miss her. What a love! I love the silkies. I now have a buff that I am crossing my fingers is a girl. A nice clean buff, no black in her at all, but the best part is, she is a sweetheart like my Cotton here was.

if its because you are underaged, you can ask your parents to buy some for you. :)
I could do it next year for christmas... oh gosh id be a nightmare and God forbid if i get a job...

and I'm also trying to set up a good biosecurity system with limited space and recourses. I'll have to sit this one out, probably. I've sat the last two out as well >_> and, I hope you have a 100% hatch. :) xx

ohh so pretty! Whose eggs was she from? Your own or someone elses? :)

I actually bought her from someone, along with a buff. I now have a black cochin that I hatched. She is a love too..of course. I call her Charlie, because she walks like Charlie Chaplin with all of the feathering sticking out every where from her legs and feet..she waddles. :)

What kind of incubator is everyone using, just for interest's sake?

I have an LG. Generally do very well with unshipped eggs (90-100%), terrible with shipped eggs (0 to 25%).

I have a Brinsea Ocatgon 40 Advance for incubating. I hatch in two Genesis 1588 incubators.

The system works great!

I have a Brinsea Ocatgon 40 Advance for incubating. I hatch in two Genesis 1588 incubators.

The system works great!
hey Ron i have a question, how are the genesis 1588s?? ive heard alot of good things about them. what are normally your hatch rates on them and is the digital thermostat and hygrometer reliable?? im looking to get a set from GQF. it comes with the 1588, an egg turner, and 30 bobwhite quail eggs. for $204 do u think its worth it?

I have this, but a stayrafoam version(I've no idea why, but i couldn't even find an image of it on google!)

then this model

and one like this(my favorite one!)

and one like this one(the incy i hatched my first chicks in, years ago)

... Hatchaholic, anyone? lol

Back
Top Bottom