5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

<sigh> I just lost the last one.
sad.png
I don't know if I didn't help it soon enough or if it was just always going to die no matter what I did. It was fully formed, yolk completely absorbed. I've been reading all I can find on causes of mortality in the shell on the last day. It would seem that some sort of nutritional deficiency is the most likely culprit. I did notice that the shells on these eggs were really super thin and brittle. So maybe that was a clue.
hugs.gif

#15 came out of the shell bottom & is doing fine. Toes were very curled at first but are almost fine after just 1 hr so I think everything should be fine.
#47 is almost twice the size but they are getting along nicely, following each other around, snuggling etc. so yah!

Not exactly results I wanted from 49 eggs, but when the box looked like this

& then given the humidity issues for the last few days, I'm going w/ 1 is better than none.
so glad I had set that backup homegrown #47 so I have 2 to be pals.
Pics tomorrow...

Best of luck to eveyone still waiting on New Years Chicks

& Don't forget : we have the Late Set Gang to follow over the next few days (I set some 12/18 , 12/19 & 12/25 all home grown so no detached air cells!)

Happy 2014 from #47,#15 & of course yours truly #37 ;>

<sigh> I just lost the last one.
sad.png
I don't know if I didn't help it soon enough or if it was just always going to die no matter what I did. It was fully formed, yolk completely absorbed. I've been reading all I can find on causes of mortality in the shell on the last day. It would seem that some sort of nutritional deficiency is the most likely culprit. I did notice that the shells on these eggs were really super thin and brittle. So maybe that was a clue.
hugs.gif
It sucks, but you did everything you could.

I just lost the last one. :( I don't know if I didn't help it soon enough or if it was just always going to die no matter what I did. It was fully formed, yolk completely absorbed. I've been reading all I can find on causes of mortality in the shell on the last day. It would seem that some sort of nutritional deficiency is the most likely culprit. I did notice that the shells on these eggs were really super thin and brittle. So maybe that was a clue.
So sad. I lost a couple just like yours too, I guess some just aren't destined to make it. :hugs

#15 came out of the shell bottom & is doing fine. Toes were very curled at first but are almost fine after just 1 hr so I think everything should be fine. #47 is almost twice the size but they are getting along nicely, following each other around, snuggling etc. so yah! Not exactly results I wanted from 49 eggs, but when the box looked like this & then given the humidity issues for the last few days, I'm going w/ 1 is better than none. so glad I had set that backup homegrown #47 so I have 2 to be pals. Pics tomorrow... Best of luck to eveyone still waiting on New Years Chicks & Don't forget : we have the Late Set Gang to follow over the next few days (I set some 12/18 , 12/19 & 12/25 all home grown so no detached air cells!) Happy 2014 from #47,#15 & of course yours truly #37 ;>
:love

Back
Top Bottom