5th chick dying in my hands right now - help!

Geeze, so sorry for the birds you are losing. Hope the lab gets some answers for you quick so you can get the other birds treated.

I put down one of my Crested Cream Legbar hens tonight. I went out and she was sitting alone roosting on top of the brooder coop with bubbles coming out of her eyes, dried snot plaster to her beak and horrible rattling sounds coming out of her lungs along with coughing.

(ETA: She also had weird waxy stuff all inside her beak and bloody spots on the top of it inside as well as white spots down her tongue and throat)

I will be sending her in for necropsy too since she seems to have yet more different symptoms :/ AND tonight I noticed one of the baby chicks in the inside brooder is doing something weird with its head. It looks at you and then its head starts to drift sort of jerkily, slowly off to the side. Then it brings it back to center and starts over again with it drifting and bobbing and torquing some ever so slightly and slowly off to the side. Its one of the oldest, biggest and seemingly healthiest ones - probably about a week old. Eats well, not chirpy, looked fine till this. ***???? What is going on here???

Last edited:
I put down one of my Crested Cream Legbar hens tonight. I went out and she was sitting alone roosting on top of the brooder coop with bubbles coming out of her eyes, dried snot plaster to her beak and horrible rattling sounds coming out of her lungs along with coughing.

(ETA: She also had weird waxy stuff all inside her beak and bloody spots on the top of it inside as well as white spots down her tongue and throat)

I will be sending her in for necropsy too since she seems to have yet more different symptoms
hmm.png
AND tonight I noticed one of the baby chicks in the inside brooder is doing something weird with its head. It looks at you and then its head starts to drift sort of jerkily, slowly off to the side. Then it brings it back to center and starts over again with it drifting and bobbing and torquing some ever so slightly and slowly off to the side. Its one of the oldest, biggest and seemingly healthiest ones - probably about a week old. Eats well, not chirpy, looked fine till this. ***???? What is going on here???
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/just-the-facts-avian-influenza

Hi there,

I don't know you and certainly don't know any of the treatments and sickness everyone talks about. I came here to read what was going on with your first chick and finally read the entire post.

I am sorry for your loses. But besides the loses, I just found this post so cute. You seem to care a lot for your chicks and I find that very nice. I hope I will be a good bird sitter like you ;) Should be getting my chicks in the next few weeks now..

Kathy looks like good help! Nice book you have there :) After reading this post, I am wondering if I should get an emergency kit for my birds, like a few meds, or I should get them only if they get sick. Anyway, you've started to make me think about that, so I be reading on this subject today.

Good work trying to save everyone and beeing so caring. I will be following the rest of the thread. I've work in dog breading and when we had sick puppies that started dying we were so eager to get the necropsy result to start treating accordingly, if treatment existed.

Just noticed this thread so aweful this is happening to you. sorry for your losses. Hope you get answers soon. Totally unfair best of luck with it all.

The chick was trembling this morning and winking one eye as well as doing the twitchy head thing. I have run out of ways to isolate sick ones... I don't have another heat lamp. I had to put the chick down :hit If I thought for sure it had the same thing the outside flock had I would put it out there - but no - the symptoms are totally different. I spent all night reading about all the diseases that included "wry neck" and nothing fits - supposedly with things that cause this it starts in the legs and works up to the head if I understand correctly. The already get vitamins in their water. I have another call in to A & M so I can ask which birds to send. This is going to be VERY expensive - even shipping is going to be an arm and a leg I am sure.

My condolences,on your chicks and for what you are going through. If you need an extra source of heat for ill birds,use a hot water bottle(this is my preference for supplying additional heat)fill with boiling water.wrap in a pillowcase,birds will either sit or lay beside it. Fill last thing at night,water bottle will stay warm all night long.

The chick was trembling this morning and winking one eye as well as doing the twitchy head thing. I have run out of ways to isolate sick ones... I don't have another heat lamp. I had to put the chick down
hit.gif
If I thought for sure it had the same thing the outside flock had I would put it out there - but no - the symptoms are totally different. I spent all night reading about all the diseases that included "wry neck" and nothing fits - supposedly with things that cause this it starts in the legs and works up to the head if I understand correctly. The already get vitamins in their water. I have another call in to A & M so I can ask which birds to send. This is going to be VERY expensive - even shipping is going to be an arm and a leg I am sure.
how much to they charge?
I had a week old silkie that started with what your describing. ..I was told it was neurological...that chick died later that day!
I'm sorry about all this...I'm anxious to find out the results of what is causing it!
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom