5week old chicks

krushkash

Hatching
Mar 26, 2015
so my uncle sent me some mixed breed eggs which i hatched, the first week the chicks feathers began to grow but its been 5weeks now and only one chick out of the three looks ok with the feather development. Any advice? (New to raising chicks)

Some breeds just take longer for the feathers to come through :) or if when they hatched, if they were covered in egg yolk and it dried It may take them a while, to feather up, because that happened mine last year and I had to clean it with some warmish water and after a while their feathers came through and they were fine :)

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! As said above different breeds or even just individual birds feather out at different rates. As you said above the cage is quite small have you seen any feather pecking taking place? Having chicks in a small area can cause this kind of behaivour moving them some where larger would be beneficial to them. The more room they have the happier they will be.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your chicks and hope you enjoy BYC :frow

Some breeds just take longer for the feathers to come through :) or if when they hatched, if they were covered in egg yolk and it dried It may take them a while, to feather up, because that happened mine last year and I had to clean it with some warmish water and after a while their feathers came through and they were fine :)
Oh right wasent aware of that lol but thanks for the advice :D n when do you think i should let them out back just to play?

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! As said above different breeds or even just individual birds feather out at different rates. As you said above the cage is quite small have you seen any feather pecking taking place? Having chicks in a small area can cause this kind of behaivour moving them some where larger would be beneficial to them. The more room they have the happier they will be.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your chicks and hope you enjoy BYC :frow
Thanks for the advice :D will let them into a larger cage and i have seen quite abit of feather pecking

Back
Top Bottom