1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

5X6 coop, how many?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Branderella, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Branderella

Branderella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2009
    i have a 5x6 coop, how many full grown hens would be comfy?

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Are they going to have access to any outside space?

3. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    They say 4 ft per chicken so you could technically put 7 in there, I would of course put 8 in there. [​IMG]

4. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

On average for INSIDE coopage it is recommended to have at LEAST minimum 4 sq ft per standard chicken. So for that size, it would be 30 Sq ft inside, divided by 4=7 chickens maximum.

However, in my experience...its better to go with at least 5 sq ft per bird, so that would give you 6 chickens in that space.

Outside room is good to have tho... its recommended 10 sq ft per standard sized chicken. So, with a 6 x 8 run added on (for example), that is 48 sq feet, or 4-5 chickens.

Hope that helps!

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    And where are you? That may be enough, if gets really cold and they will want to stay inside in winter.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2009
  6. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

5x6=30/4=7chickens but you have to have run space as well. If not you will only have room for 3

7. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    If they have access to outdoors then 7 (4 sq. ft. per bird) hens. If they don't then only 3 (10 sq ft/bird). The more room outdoors the less likely they get bored and feather pick. [​IMG]

8. djmooney

djmooney Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    we have 10 normal hens and 5 bantams. and our coops 6x4 with a 6x4 run. we half allot of roost to sit on but our chickens do just fine

9. wessfarm

wessfarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2011
    i have a 5x6x9 coop and 4x2 hall way out to a 12 x10 pen with a top on it .all my chickens are fine i have 11 in it .
    working on a day pen 20x 20 it will not have a top on it. jest a day pen do i need to put a top on it?
    I'm new to the chicken thing

10. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

It somewhat depends on your climate too. If the chickens have to stay cooped during extreme winter weather, you want as much space as possible per bird= 5 s/f. each at least. If you don't have cold winter weather and they can spend all year outside during the day, you can have a lot less space and still not have problems. My coop is a 3 sided 4'x8' open air design. The 'rule' would be only 8 chickens in there, but I have 13 right now and have had more than that. But mine only sleep in there, and not all of them. Some roost outside on perches and 3 roost up on top of my carport frame that is inside their run (which is 12'x25'). My nestboxes are outside the coop in a sheltered area so they don't even go in the coop to lay. They aren't crowded, just really have no need of shelter since we have really mild winters here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by