5yo Hen Just passed away.

haileyeverhart

Songster
7 Years
Sep 21, 2014
Illinois
My Silver Laced wyandotte Lacy died this morning. I found her on the floor of the barn, she looked like she died just sitting down. The past few months she was very slow, like an old lady, she had turned 5 this year. She took naps very often, sat often, and just wasnt her teenage self anymore. Her sister is the same age and loves being up and about and loves eating. Lacy was always the quiet type so i didnt assume anything wrong. Anyone elses chickens that died of old age act like this before passing? My mom insisted we shouldnt do an autopsy on her but I really wanted to know why she died. Maybe cancer or just kidneys or liver shutting down slowly. Any info or comments would be very nice, Id just like to know if this happens often at 5 years old, Im gonna miss her but Im glad she got this long to live, most of my chickens die young. Chickens deserve longer on this earth.

My buff orp roo died spontaneously recently at about 1 y/o. Was just dead on the floor of the coop one morning. No signs of injury. He was a great roo. I don't know why he died, but it was a great loss. That's him resting with his girlfriend in my avatar pic. Sometimes things just happen. It's sad.

Back
Top Bottom