Advice on selecting a hen friend for my lonely hen.

Hens having Fun

In the Brooder
Nov 2, 2023
Sydney NSW Australia
My Coop
My Coop
Hi all, unfortunately my hen just passed away:(. its night time and she went to bed i heard a flap in her coop roosting compartment and she just passed. the other hen is in there still. should I leave her until the morning so the existing hen understands what happened and that her friend didn't just disappear? (and doesnt keep looking for her)?
Also I know one hen is a lonely hen and I will need to find her a companion.:hmm She is aged 7yrs old and a Silver Sussex hen and has lived with one other hen (a red/ brown Sussex) her whole life. What age hen should I be looking for her ? Should I get her 1or 2 friends? Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any help and advice anyone can give me?

Last edited:
Hi, sorry about your hen. 7 yrs is pretty old, I wonder if she might have the same fate, if it were something contagious for example. If she shows no signs of illness after waiting an appropriate amount of time, then consider what to get.
It’s spring there, yes? What about getting a few baby chicks and raising them where she can see them, eventually integrating them….

Hi, sorry about your hen. 7 yrs is pretty old, I wonder if she might have the same fate, if it were something contagious for example. If she shows no signs of illness after waiting an appropriate amount of time, then consider what to get.
It’s spring there, yes? What about getting a few baby chicks and raising them where she can see them, eventually integrating them….
thank you for your kind words thank you for your advice, I believe the hen that passed had a reproductive issue so not contagious, yes its spring here, i really was wanting to get a adult hen( if its suitable for the remaining hen). im located on only 600metre square block and don't have a lot of space for more than 2-3 hens in total as they free range. I noticed a Araucana Grey hen for sale in same area as me, the owner sold all of them and one left so I thought maybe both lonely hens could be together.

cher and Charlize.png

Back
Top Bottom