6-7 yr-old Australorp w/messy white droppings, poor balance, swollen toes

CombNWattles

Chirping
Apr 29, 2024
Hello,

This is Raven, my Australorp. She’s had messy white droppings for a long time; more than a year. Her bottom and breath have a slightly sweet smell.
Here is a link to the thread I started about my sneezing Orpington in case there’s a connection.
IMG_5587.jpg

Recently I’ve noticed that her balance isn’t great; she kind of tipped over a few times while tipping her head back to drink, and she fell over a couple times on a steep section in the pen. That was several weeks ago, and she hasn’t done it since. Her toes are a little swollen too; I am wondering if she has arthritis:
IMG_5677.jpg

She still gets around pretty well; she refuses to use the chicken ramp, but instead launches herself out the door. She waddles when she walks. Her abdomen doesn’t feel tight or baggy.
Icky dirty bottom:
IMG_5680.jpg

Her face seemed a tad swollen to me the other day:
IMG_5679.jpg

What she usually looks like(she is a little more alert here as well):
IMG_5306.jpg

Any ideas?

She’s had messy white droppings for a long time; more than a year. Her bottom and breath have a slightly sweet smell.

he kind of tipped over a few times while tipping her head back to drink, and she fell over a couple times on a steep section in the pen. That was several weeks ago, and she hasn’t done it since.
Photos of the bottom of her foot?

The breath and bottom having a slightly sweet smell, I'd treat as Vent Gleet. Since it's been ongoing for a while, I would use Nystatin as mentioned in the article below.
https://www.tillysnest.com/2012/12/vent-gleet-prevention-and-treatment-html/

For the eye, clean and flush with saline, remove any pus or debris. Apply an eye ointment in the eye. Do this at least once daily.

Back
Top Bottom