6 chicken pre-made coop recommendation?

rcm1201

Chirping
Feb 2, 2023
New Orleans, LA
I am new to this, really just started researching coops a few weeks ago. I live in a Louisiana neighborhood on a 1/2 acre so a small coop+run 10x6 or smaller is a must. Summers here are in the 90s. Winters can dip into the 30s. I am very intrigued by the Eglu + 9ft run but it is just a bit above my price range. I need something that is easy to maintain (poop drawers, solid materials, etc). I am NOT handy and cannot build a coop myself - prefab is the route I need to go.

Am I good considering the Eglu or are there other options in the $1,000 range out there? Everything I see on Tractor Supply and Amazon seem like they are too small for 4-6 chickens or would fall apart after a year in the Louisiana weather.

The Eglu (in my opinion anyway) is only big enough for 2 birds, not much point in that. We purchased a 4’x4’ prefab from TSC advertised as big enough for 8-10 birds. The employee at TSC told us to divide any of these “Big enough for…” numbers in half and go by that. Our coop is barely big enough for 4 girls, and that’s taking into account the large extended run we built.
Next time, I’ll buy a shed and convert it!

I agree with everything said. Prefab coops are garbage. You will end up sweeping it up, walls and all, after a windstorm. They won’t last 2 years. I know you aren’t handy, but the only other option of buying a prefab coop isn’t an option. You can buy a used good coop off line. Or a shed. Or a kids playhouse.

Anything that says 6 chickens is made for 2 banty hens haha.

Good luck! Shop used!

If it’s the intimidation factor of DIY more than the need for it to LOOK professional, maybe look into hoop coops. You could likely do a lot of it yourself if you are comfortable hanging a curtain rod using a drill. Just would probably want to recruit a knowledgeable helper for the door.

There are also kits on Amazon and similar that provide metal joints and the plans so all you have to do is take the list they provide to your hardware store and have them cut the 2x4s and whatnot to the right lengths. But you don't have to calculate angles or cut the wood for the frame. I think there is someone on here DIYing using one of those kits right now - maybe find that thread and follow along to see how tough it is?

But if you just aren’t at all a DIY person, that’s fair. I would go back to my first suggestion of finding someone local who has good reviews to build it for you. And build bigger than you think you want - I suggest tall enough to walk in for sure so you aren’t crawling in at some point to catch a stubborn hen or clean the corners.

One tip I have is to build your coop raised, so you can add underneath to your run. That will give you even more run for them, without extending the footprint of your design :)

The Over EZ coops look very sturdy and well built to me. I admire them whenever I go to the feed store. But they are expensive. This one is 5’ X 6’2” and I think one could use it for 6 chickens. They come in different sizes and there is a smaller less expensive one. If they don’t have them at your local store, the website says they ship free….
https://overezchickencoop.com/

06BB323B-B2CB-447E-BB09-6AA49F522941.jpeg BFAB26D1-FCBC-4D7E-A07A-9E4B119A085E.jpeg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom