6 chicks disappeared! Please Help!

The Chickeneer

~A Morning's Crow~
9 Years
Jan 9, 2011
Central Valley California
I woke up this morning to check on the chickens. When I went to the baby chick pen, there was only one left. Six out of seven just disappeared. I have no Idea what could have done it.

It could not have been a fox. We've been hit by foxes plenty of times, and this was not their handy work. There were no feathers at all, there was not a hole dug under the coop(we have a wire floor)It just rained last night, and there was no tracks in the mud.

The coops doors were all shut. No tracks or feathers of any sort. The chick that survived looked untouched, it had no bite marks or feathers missing. The only way anything could have gone inside, is trough the small spaces between the rafters at the edge of the wall, and the dust there is completely undisturbed. It was as if the other chicks simply had disappeared.

Why would a predator go for chicks all cooped up at night, when the big chickens in the other coops had doors wide open? This is what I thought of when I saw this, it just makes no sense to me. The older chickens' coop would have been easier to enter, and the predator would want a bigger chicken because it has more meat. At least that is how it works with the dogs and foxes. We have no racoons. The only thing I could think of that could probably have done this is cats.

But everything looked so untouched and so undisturbed, absolutely no signs of struggle, I got to thinking it might not have been a predator at all. So that leaves me with one conclusion. A human being stole the chicks. It still seems hard for me to believe, but it's the only thing that would make sense. The only chick left was a black Australorp, maybe it blended in with the night, they couldn't see it and thats why they left it. Whereas a predator wouldn't need to see it, they could have easily smelled it and took it away with the rest.

Does any body at all have any Idea what could have done this!!??

I doubt it was cats, you wouldve seen footprints in the mud. One snake CAN eat that many chicks. I had it happen. Unfortunately for the snake, it was too fat to crawl out of the brooder cage. I killed the snake.

Well, I checked and checked over and over again, there are no signs of predators. We don't have snakes around here, and the chicks were 7 weeks old, so it would be a bit much for one to swallow all those. I'm still leaning toward the idea that a person took them.
somad.gif
I worked so hard raising those chicks. I incubated them from shipped eggs, meaning I spent allot on those chicks. I am so ****** beyond belief, and the poor little chick is all alone in that coop. I think i might be going to feed store today to buy some more chicks to keep her company. Tonight, I'm locking up all the chickens with a lock on the coop doors, and I am letting my dog out over there.

You didnt mention in your first post how old the chicks were. So, I gotta agree with Jeepguy. Sorry for your losses, I know it's frustrating. I wish you the best.

Ugh! And now I think I know who did it. Theres this guy that walks around the neighborhood at 3 am and steals things. I remember he stole my phone, I woke up early one morning to charge it in the car, went inside real quick, came back and it was gone. He also stole a neighbors chainsaw, hid it in another neighbors yard. They called the police and there was a big huge deal about it.

Im just so furious right now, knowing that the creepy 3 am guy probably stole them,
somad.gif
I worked so hard with those chicks........buying the eggs, having them shipped across the country, fussing over incubator temps. brooding them, and now they're gone. I invested so much of my money and time on those precious chicks. Well, now they are gone, and there is nothing I can do..........

My anger has been letting up, now I've just been thinking about those poor chicks. how they will have to live with some guy knowing absoulutely nothing about chickens and stole them to have something fun for an Easter party. They will die over there, poor poor things........If only I knew where the creepy 3 am guy lives, I would go there and take them back.

Put up "lost" signs around your neighborhood as one would with a dog or cat. If someone has seen him with them, you may be able to find out that way. Sorry about your little guys.

Put up "lost" signs around your neighborhood as one would with a dog or cat. If someone has seen him with them, you may be able to find out that way. Sorry about your little guys.

x2. Check craigslist and your local paper in the classifieds under "livestock." Bulletin boards at feed stores as well to see if the thief is trying to sell them. Good luck.

Last edited:
x2. Check craigslist and your local paper in the classifieds under "livestock." Bulletin boards at feed stores as well to see if the thief is trying to sell them. Good luck.

That's actually a really good idea, thanks for mentioning that. After Easter, they won't want to take care of them, and they will most likely sell them. I'm not so sure about putting up"lost" signs, I've done them before, for my dog, nobody ever pays attention to those. You really have to go around, check each neighbor hood, knock door to door, check the pound and that sort of stuff.

Back
Top Bottom