6 month old rooster- new raging hormones or true signs of an aggressive bird...

@Mrs. K thanks for your insight! I do not free range my chickens, they are always in the coop or run. Let me reassure you I understand how dangerous it can be for a child if they're attacked and that's why my sons no longer allowed in there. I do not want to take any chances. But I have been taking the tips from everyone and using it with the rooster and he's getting better. So I'm keeping him for now and in the meantime if my son wants to come in with me and help I'll lock up the rooster so he can still be a part of it. This doesn't mean I trust him, I'll always keep an eye out for him.

Bbecca, you are off to a terrible start with this cockerel. First of all you are mistaking punishment for discipline. Punishment sends aggressive signals right back to a cockerel and only serves to reinforce his fears and mistrust that are causing his aggression. In other words, what you're doing is making matters worse.

Discipline, on the other hand, serves to change bad behavior, letting the cockerel learn that aggression isn't acceptable. Your first objective is to change your own behavior and become comfortable in how to relate to your cockerel. It's a mindset. Right now you have the same mindset as your cockerel - the need to dominate. It will only cause a continuing battle with him.

You need to understand your own role with the flock before you can understand your cockerel and his role. You are flock caretaker and hold responsibility for their well being and other than that, you are comfortable in trusting the flock, including the cockerel, to fulfill their roles in the flock with no interference from you. It's a matter of trust and being comfortable with your role and their roles. Your cockerel will know that you are comfortable and it will decrease the uncertainty and conflict he's experiencing, therefore he will feel less need to confront you with aggressive behavior.

The best thing for you to do right now is nothing. When you go the the coop and run to care for your chickens, be very slow and deliberate in your movements, but do not show any doubt as to why you are in their midst. Do not turn your back on your cockerel. If he stands his ground and refuses to move out of your way, walk right through him, forcing him to move. But do not kick him, hit him, yell at him, throw things at him or show any violence or aggression.

You've been misinformed about not allowing him to mate in front of you. This only adds to his aggressive mindset and gives him more reason to consider you a threat to his ability to carry out his role in the flock. It's hard enough for a cockerel to find his proper role, and causing him frustration makes his already hormone-fueled confusion worse.

Spend these next few days becoming comfortable in your own role with the flock. Ignore the cockerel as much as is possible. After you have learned to relax and feel confident around your cockerel, then you can start disciplining him when and if he shows aggressive behavior. But give yourself and your cockerel time to adjust to each other before undertaking this. It may turn out that ignoring him will accomplish your objective and further discipline may not even be necessary.

I rehome several roosters before I found my gentle giant. Not quite a year and already over 10 pounds.He mates gently with my females. He crows only in the early A.M or to alert someone he does not know is in the yard. Hes never crowed at me or bitten me and i can pick him up and hold him. Hes a silver penciled rock .Hes protective of his ladies, respects me and my husband. I will attach a photo.they are pretty much who they will be at 6months old an can get worse. You might consider rehoming him and searching another breed. I'm assuming which ever breed is chosen, he will also be the father of future chicks. Traits can be passed down as well. I will attach a pic of my rooster. His name is Daddy he's about 8 months old. I hope this helps. Of course its entirely up to you on what to do however I'm glad I had rehomed the roosters I did because I couldn't ask for a better roo than I have now!! He was definitely worth my wait! I hope it all works for you. Best wishes .

I rehome several roosters before I found my gentle giant. Not quite a year and already over 10 pounds.He mates gently with my females. He crows only in the early A.M or to alert someone he does not know is in the yard. Hes never crowed at me or bitten me and i can pick him up and hold him. Hes a silver penciled rock .Hes protective of his ladies, respects me and my husband. I will attach a photo.they are pretty much who they will be at 6months old an can get worse. You might consider rehoming him and searching another breed. I'm assuming which ever breed is chosen, he will also be the father of future chicks. Traits can be passed down as well. I will attach a pic of my rooster. His name is Daddy he's about 8 months old. I hope this helps. Of course its entirely up to you on what to do however I'm glad I had rehomed the roosters I did because I couldn't ask for a better roo than I have now!! He was definitely worth my wait! I hope it all works for you. Best wishes .

Beautiful bird!! You make a very good point.
Sadly, we even get attached to the naughty ones. But, there are lots of roosters out there - and safety with them is the primary factor. If you don't feel safe (regardless of your discipline strategy) it's a much better idea to try a different bird. Some folks are just fine with an aggressive flock master because it meets the needs of their free ranging group. Some would rather just have a docile, somewhat cowardly guy in the coop. Whatever your needs, there is a rooster out there that will fit the bill. Find a local breeder (CL is a terrible place to find one!) who might even have one on hand. Hens adapt to new roosters really quickly (once they're past your own quarantine stage) and seem to "fall in love" rather quickly. (They're like a bunch of Jr. High girls in more ways than one!)

I agree. You have to go with what works for you. For me, when my 3 month old roo attacks and bites me for picking up a female it's time for me to rehome him. (This happened to me) for some he might be the protector they are looking for. For me, if I can't handle my birds to check for health issues it's not going to work out. I had gone through several (all rehomed) before I found the guy right for my flock. You just need to know what you want, how much aggression is acceptable to you. For me no aggression toward me is ok.im in the coop and pen much too often for that. Not saying he has to cuddle but I must be able to catch him if the need arises. Otherwise he's left alone. But he MUST tolerate my presence in the coop an run without aggression towards me. It does not mean I have to pet him, but I must be safe in the pen an coop when feeding or doing health checks or debugging.otherwise I wouldn't be able to properly care for my flock.so decide what you want, then I'm sure you will find the right rooster for the job. For me, the young roo seems to be displaying too much aggression. Also, when my roo crows he does it only to strangers as a warning, so you might wonder if your little guy might be showing slight agressive behavior by crowing at you? That's the case for my guy whend he crows at strangers. Just be careful. I wish you the best.

@The Phantom thanks for your input! I listened to your advice along with others on this post and changed my attitude, I walk in the coop like I own it! I also followed some of @bobbi-j tips and I have not had another incedant. And when I walk thru the chickens the rooster also turns aside and walks away from me now. I was able to pick up one of the other hens without him attacking as well. Thank you for all your help everyone!

@bbecca

I keep a lot of roosters. I have very little time to deal with aggression as you describe (referred to as man-fighters). We have small kids that lowers the threshold even further. Several of mine are kept as outright pets, while the majority serve more utilitarian roles. Some are confined and some live to some degree free-range. Much of what described in your initial post are decidedly no-no's in my management regimen. I do nothing to assert myself over them nor do I act submissively. All humans, even trained dogs, move deliberately around birds. There is also recognition of feed-bucket aggression that is prevented by how feed is applied. Pet roosters come to me when called and only hen called, and they may peck, but only in an exploratory manner without aggression. Learning intent of birds based on signals given is helpful.

Scrutenize the approach of azygous above more thoroughly as you will find the advice well based.

Back
Top Bottom