6 Month old STILL NOT laying, Calling Cochin Mavins!!!!UPDATE!!!!

Damummis

Chickenista
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
Mid-Coast
I have a flock of 11 Cochin hens. Not one of them is laying. They are a FULL 6 months old. Will they lay this year????? I have already reduced myself to buying eggs.

Last edited:
I have a flock of cochins too. I have four out of six laying. They are about 7 months old. Could it be that they have a hidden nest? I think cochins lay late.

Try having an 8 month old that refuses to lay. No hidden nests, all the best food and free ranging daily. Everything an Cochin bantam can want....NOTHING!!!! Grrr...

Good luck with your girls. Mine seem to be on strike!
hit.gif

Are these bantam or full-size cochins? I don't know about the big girls, but I have had the bantam cochins for many years. My bantams are seasonal layers. That means that they lay during the warmer months when the days are long, and slow down or stop during the winter. During the summer we are swamped with eggs, so I don't mind them slowing down a bit. If the egg numbers get too low, I leave a light on where they roost at night. I don't know if that would "jump start" a hen that hadn't started yet, but it does help fool my girls into restarting when they have quit for the year.
wink.png

My Cochins are soooooooo slow.
My one Cochin Roo JUST started crowing this week and he's 10 months old. Our Cochin female is only a few weeks younger and nary an egg in sight. But the breeder I got them from said they are the breed to have if you want a friendly bird and eggs aren't all that important, so I shoulda known.
wink.png

Well, I have 2 cochins that are 6 1/2 months, one lays, one doesn't....what can I say, they are women, they are ready when they are ready and not a minute before. How many hours of day light are they getting? I have a light in my coop on a timer and one of them still hasn't started to lay. How is their diet?

Back
Top Bottom