6 Month old STILL NOT laying, Calling Cochin Mavins!!!!UPDATE!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Damummis, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    Mid-Coast
    I have a flock of 11 Cochin hens. Not one of them is laying. They are a FULL 6 months old. Will they lay this year????? I have already reduced myself to buying eggs.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  2. Bring

Bring Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    New Mexico
    I have a flock of cochins too. I have four out of six laying. They are about 7 months old. Could it be that they have a hidden nest? I think cochins lay late.

3. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    You cant rush a cochin!! lol. I have one older that has not started laying either. I'm sure its nothing to worry about, its a cochin after all. lol.

4. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    Try having an 8 month old that refuses to lay. No hidden nests, all the best food and free ranging daily. Everything an Cochin bantam can want....NOTHING!!!! Grrr...

Good luck with your girls. Mine seem to be on strike! [​IMG]

5. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    Mid-Coast
    Still NO eggs!!!! DH went out and had a "talk" with them. "Eggs by Christmas or it's heads".

6. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Are these bantam or full-size cochins? I don't know about the big girls, but I have had the bantam cochins for many years. My bantams are seasonal layers. That means that they lay during the warmer months when the days are long, and slow down or stop during the winter. During the summer we are swamped with eggs, so I don't mind them slowing down a bit. If the egg numbers get too low, I leave a light on where they roost at night. I don't know if that would "jump start" a hen that hadn't started yet, but it does help fool my girls into restarting when they have quit for the year.[​IMG]

7. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    Mid-Coast
    They are full size. I was wondering about a light.

8. ethingtonart

ethingtonart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    indianapolis
    I have an eight month old banty cochin and no eggs from her yet either. It's a good thing they are so cute!!

9. woolymama

woolymama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2009
    Central Virginia
    My Cochins are soooooooo slow.
    My one Cochin Roo JUST started crowing this week and he's 10 months old. Our Cochin female is only a few weeks younger and nary an egg in sight. But the breeder I got them from said they are the breed to have if you want a friendly bird and eggs aren't all that important, so I shoulda known.
    [​IMG]

10. LeghornLisa

LeghornLisa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Well, I have 2 cochins that are 6 1/2 months, one lays, one doesn't....what can I say, they are women, they are ready when they are ready and not a minute before. How many hours of day light are they getting? I have a light in my coop on a timer and one of them still hasn't started to lay. How is their diet?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by